1/32 ERA-3B Skywarrior - 3D printed / scratchbuilt

Starfighter

Dang. Sorry to see that, but believe you have the right attitude! I immediately thought of my large 1/48 USS Franklin dio that took a gainer off the shelf. I’d already been working on it for a year plus and almost cried at the carnage. In the end I finally finished it, and used the saga as a chance to make things better. I’m sure you’ll do that in spades!

-Peter

Thank you all again for your encopuraging words. It's good to know someone out there knows my pain... whilst it's really annoying and I felt like crying as well, the split fuselage makes it actally easier for me to build a simple ECM operator compartment behind the cockpit which would have been very difficult with the fuselage closed. Just don't tell my wife...

I have also drawn and printed a proper front landing gear bay which I will install very soon as well. Sadly, there is a small visible Z-axis layer shift, but with some careful sanding, this shouldn't be much of an issue in this area.

img_4411xpjy2.jpg

img_44121tkfx.jpg

Here is the newly printed tail extension.You can see the limitations of the LCD screen resolution when printing rounded parts; the steps look much worse than they actually are, though. They are easily sanded away. 

img_4403t6j0a.jpg

The ECM operator seats are very similar to the C-2 Grey hound seats I have printed a few years ago. I will only install one together with a rudimentary console as I have serious doubts any of this will remain visible with the canopy installed. 

img_4413vpjd6.jpg

It's an absolute horror to get the surface back to the same level it was before the crash - this will take several weeks at least. I was hoping to finish the Skywarrior for a show late March 2021, but this is definitely going to be dificult rigt now. We'll see. 

The only advantage of the of the crash is the fact that I can quite easily work on the ECM operator compartment. The fuselage is covered with fabric on the real a/c. I have used lead foil to simulate this:

img_4457z4jax.jpg

Seatbelts were added using lead foil and Verlinden PE belt buckles. A quick paintjob and that's how the seat looks now:

img_4458bikld.jpg

img_4459u3k7x.jpg

Then, I built the forward part of the ECM operator's console from plasticart.

img_44606sjw7.jpg

No need for too much effort and the second operator's seat as most of it will be hidden. Now imagine the fuselage being closed and the canopy in situ... 

img_44627ikzo.jpg

img_446387j4j.jpg

Some decals and (ugly) Eduard pre-printed PE should do the trick.

img_447883j44.jpeg

img_4479mgj6r.jpeg

With the rear compartment being finished, I can move on to the cockpit and front landing gear bay and then hopefully close the fuselage again soon. Stay tuned! 

img_448000kby.jpeg

Thank you all - your positive comments have helped me to keep motivation high. 

Brian, no need to imagine that - the ERA-3B was never deployed to a carrier due to its weight. The carrier based versions like RA-3, EA-3 etc had turnable seats for the operators in the back.