1/32 ERA-3B Skywarrior - 3D printed / scratchbuilt

Starfighter

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Great work Ben!  I cant imaging being the weapons officer/radar op facing backwards the whole flight like that. 

My thoughts exactly! Now imagine occupying this seat in one of the carrier based versions and experiencing a cat shot or trap facing backwards... But then, passengers in a C-2 are facing backwards as well. 

8 minutes ago, Starfighter said:

My thoughts exactly! Now imagine occupying this seat in one of the carrier based versions and experiencing a cat shot or trap facing backwards... But then, passengers in a C-2 are facing backwards as well. 

Hmmmm, Cat shot in a C-2. Did that once.

Strapped in, with a 5 point harness, told to keep my hands away from the release button.  Feet off the floor and braced against the seat in front of me. They said that the cat shot would throw your feet up and possibly break your ankles. Full power to the engines, the entire craft is just straining and pulsing with power. And then ....whoosh. 

Tremendous acceleration and then .......a sense of floating as the cat stroke ends.

Never forget the experience,  it was over 30 years ago.

Dan

1 minute ago, Dandiego said:

Hmmmm, Cat shot in a C-2. Did that once.

Strapped in, with a 5 point harness, told to keep my hands away from the release button.  Feet off the floor and braced against the seat in front of me. They said that the cat shot would throw your feet up and possibly break your ankles. Full power to the engines, the entire craft is just straining and pulsing with power. And then ....whoosh. 

Tremendous acceleration and then .......a sense of floating as the cat stroke ends.

Never forget the experience,  it was over 30 years ago.

Dan

I would literally kill to experience this, Dan... thanks for sharing this story! :) 

9 minutes ago, Starfighter said:

I would literally kill to experience this, Dan... thanks for sharing this story! :) 

Well Ben, it was an experience of a lifetime for me.

Made possible by......modeling. Our local IPMS chapter was asked to make models for a display at NAS North Island. All of us who participated were given an opportunity to fly out to a carrier. I jumped at the chance. Kind of sobering when you are filling out the next of kin form. Safety briefing...."we will only open the rear cargo doors if we are inverted in the water". Gulp!

The trap was actually no big deal. Spent the night on board the Enterprise.  Was on the LSO platform at night. "Don't worry,  if an aircraft buzzes the platform just jump into that net down there". Gulp!

Stood in the starboard catwalk while F-14s  and EA-6B's were launched. Noise so loud that the 2 bones in my arm were vibrating. When the Tomcat spread its wings for launch they were over my head.

Life moves on, the aircraft, the ship, and I.....all retired.

Dan

11 hours ago, Starfighter said:

There’s a reason the Gallows humor referred to it as A-3D. All 3 Dead. No ejection seats. At least that rear facing enlisted crewman was closest to the escape chute and out the hatch. Have heard horror stories from old Whale drivers. Including one guy trying to climb out the upper escape hatch with broken legs from the impact after a bad cat shot on a 27C class carrier in Vietnam. All of course while the plane was sinking and trying to get out before getting run over by the ship that just failed to launch you...:blink: They had huge ones! 

Thanks for sharing Ben...epic as always!

-Peter

• 1 month later...

Progress! :) I think I have managed to get rid of the reappearing cracks. After finishing the basic cockpit construction, the main landing gear bay was next. As usual, drawn with Inventor and printed on my Photon.

My favourite task: cutting into models once the surface looks OK...

img_4255i2kce.jpg

3D printed inner landing gear bay walls. The forward portion will be cut away as one can see through the entire fuselage when looking inside the MLG bay of a Skywarrior.

img_4234t0j1e.jpg

Parts in situ.

img_4256h4jyq.jpg

The lower fuselage skin including the interior details of the MLG bay were drawn and printed as well.

img_438024kbk.jpg

Tail fin top radome and MLG bay bulkhead ready to have their supports removed.

img_4394yhjsi.jpg

And another "favourite" task of mine: playing around with automotive putty to get things symmetric and straight. 

img_4387o8k4q.jpg

Edited by Starfighter