1/32 ERA-3B Skywarrior - 3D printed / scratchbuilt

Starfighter

3D printing is a great tool, but you still have to properly assemble the parts... which I sadly didn't do, which resulted in a slightly warped rear fuselage. So, out came the saw...

img_1965cpkb4.jpeg

... Super Glue, files and sand paper. I'll show you the result within the next few days. 

Edited by Starfighter

• 5 weeks later...

Sanding, sanding and sanding. The fuselage ist straight now and the belly was closed. Surface quality is not too good at this point, which means there will be even more puttying and sanding and priming before I can start scribing the surface detail. On a side note, I have received aluminium foil for the MH-53E... I hop to start some trials soon.

img_2487r6kv9.jpeg

img_2509fkkxx.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There isn't much to see at the moment. Filling, sanding, more sanding, filling again, priming, more sanding... I have some problem with (re-)appearing cracks. As you can see on the previously posted pics, the fuselage is made of many small printed parts, so there are many sources for cracks. Anyway, I will persevere and hope to finally succeed... 

img_26900ykgb.jpg

Luckily, that's not a crack behind the cockpit - this is where the rear cockpit bulkhead will be inserted later on.

img_26886mkbi.jpg

img_2689bqk2t.jpg

Shaping up very nicely Ben!

Good luck with those pesky cracks - I’ve had one that kept on ghosting back in on one of my builds that has taken nearly 6 months to finally settle and not reappear (hopefully) after numerous fill and sand sessions. I think my issue was probably caused by not waiting long enough to let the liquid cement fully harden off before the first putty went on. By long enough I mean at least 3-4 weeks from the research I’ve done.

Torben

On 1/17/2020 at 12:14 PM, TorbenD said:

Shaping up very nicely Ben!

Good luck with those pesky cracks - I’ve had one that kept on ghosting back in on one of my builds that has taken nearly 6 months to finally settle and not reappear (hopefully) after numerous fill and sand sessions. I think my issue was probably caused by not waiting long enough to let the liquid cement fully harden off before the first putty went on. By long enough I mean at least 3-4 weeks from the research I’ve done.

Torben

In my case, one of the problems certainly is the material mix. (Very brittle) UV sensitive resin, plastic sheet, automotive body filler... Everything was glued with superglue. I should maybe have used 2K epoxy, but that's too late now. I think I may have to choose the "heavy" solution - I will mill deep grooves into the cracks and fill them with superglue and Microballs. That should help to stop the cracks from re-appearing. A bigger problem is the body filler kind of de-laminating from the plastic sheet below. The filler has become very thin after sanding and is rock hard whilst the sheet below remained slightly flexible. in the worst case, I may have to remove the whole area covering the bomb bay, add stiffeners or reinforcements and start all over. On Sunday, I have spent three hours sanding and filling and the model looks just like before.The joy of this kind of scale modelling... 

The cracks kept on re-appearing, so out came the heavy artillery. 

img_27268ijca.jpeg

img_2727d1jg2.jpeg

img_2730g0kil.jpeg

The grooves were filled with superglue and Microballs.

img_2731e5jn7.jpeg

After some additional puttying and sanding, I fitted the tail fin. I used aluminium profiles from Albion Alloys to ensure perfect fit and stability. 

img_2734h9kmh.jpeg

img_2735hcjjt.jpeg

img_2736azbjuh.jpeg

Finally some visible progress! 

img_2737n6kbz.jpg