Fulmar in 32nd?

Scotsman

I seems to be deep into a FAA theme at the moment , and I was wandering if anyone had ever produced a Vac  Fulmar  , I know it's stepping out of my comfort zone to even think about a Fac form , but its probably the only way I'll get anywhere  modelling early war FAA equipment 

Thanks

ColinR

I think Peter Castle started modelling a Fulmar but stopped the build due to a lack of reliable drawings?  This from memory so could easily be 100% wrong!  It doesn't answer your question as such directly, but may have a bearing on why a vacuform Fulmar may not have been produced.....who knows? :huh:

Jennings I take your point completely   and to be honest  I think that Pilot summed up the whole of the FAA's equipment until  US supplied  Hellcats and Corsairs  and Avengers turned up, and much as I love Seafires the pics of Operation Torch showing flight decks full of wrecked airframes is very telling!

I also remember a  story re the Barracuda ,  when the British Pacific Fleet started operating with the US Navy , they did some cross Decking, and the reported comments of one US Officer as he watched a Barracuda land  went something like, "Goddam Pretty soon them Limeys will start building airplanes" ,

This doesn't mean I wouldn't love one in 32nd , just think of those barking mad wingfolds! ,the fact that an aircraft isn't actually that good, doesn't mean it's not interesting or worthy of modelling , something us Brits are all too well aware of .. Blackburn Roc anyone!

EDSG/Slate Grey/Sky forever!

2 hours ago, Scotsman said:

I also remember a  story re the Barracuda ,  when the British Pacific Fleet started operating with the US Navy , they did some cross Decking, and the reported comments of one US Officer as he watched a Barracuda land  went something like, "Goddam Pretty soon them Limeys will start building airplanes" ,

I'm currently reading one of the aircraft of the aces series - Royal Navy aces of WW2 and it was definitely a case of poor/obsolete equipment at the start.

But a Skua scored the first British aerial victory in WW2 when it forced down a Dornier 18 in September 1939.

The Fulmar was a stop-gap aircraft as it was designed pre-war as a long range reconnaissance aircraft rather than a full-on fighter.

Despite that it was pretty successful in the Mediterranean against the Italian airforce and then the Luftwaffe (slightly less-so) with pilots achieving ace with it including one who shot down 2 JU 88's in one sortie.

The Barracuda was more function rather than form.

In March 1944 the Tirpitz raids were particularly successful when the Barracudas scored 15 direct hits on the ship damaging it so badly it was effectively out of the war.

Of course the later Lancaster raids are more famous but the Barracudas did the damage which sealed it's fate.

Ugly aircraft but a good one.

:)

Edited by PhilB
spelling!

They have a great display of a downed Skua at the FAA museum at Yeovilton.

it was pulled out of a Norwegian lake after tangling with an Heinkel 111 and has been preserved 'as is' in a display resembling the bottom of a lake!

..But it also has videos and the (poignant) stories of the pilots and crew of both aircraft.