Fuselage clamps

i use berna clamps sometimes but they are f*cking fiddly

i also use [albeit very small] DIY clamps - there's loads out there - the ones with trigger grip to tighten by increments and single button release

these are super sturdy and come in as many sizes as you like, but if you are not careful can crush a model

i am coming to believe that with *most* kits, if you need industrial pressure to hold fuselage halves in place, you've either not test fitted properly or the kit is junk

there is a lot to be said for tamiya tape pulled at reasonably high tension across a joint; you'd be surprised at what it will hold

it's also less fiddly 

if you need pics of the DIY clamps I use let me know

46 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

i use berna clamps sometimes but they are f*cking fiddly

i also use [albeit very small] DIY clamps - there's loads out there - the ones with trigger grip to tighten by increments and single button release

these are super sturdy and come in as many sizes as you like, but if you are not careful can crush a model

i am coming to believe that with *most* kits, if you need industrial pressure to hold fuselage halves in place, you've either not test fitted properly or the kit is junk

there is a lot to be said for tamiya tape pulled at reasonably high tension across a joint; you'd be surprised at what it will hold

it's also less fiddly ...

To answer each para in turn: So do I, and I agree;  So do I, and I agree; I came to that conclusion a while ago, and yes, I agree.

Thanks for the input. I've used tape and elastic bands to good effect. Just was wondering what good clamps could do. I was thinking about what if there was a clamp that could  put equal pressure around the entire perimeter of the fuselage, even considering that fuselages are not perfectly cylindrical. A problem in search of a better mousetrap?

i bought these but although small, they are too strong for most things

useful for thin wings / tails etc

http://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C77GYJK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and these come in all sizes - small DIY type clamps

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001C7QO4Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used clamps on a few resin conversions, found them very useful on the nose sections, below is a 1/32 Spitfire Mk. XII conversion being clamped, these joints needed a bit more pressure but usually I just use tape.

1LYOJ5.jpg

V0iLPi.jpg

And to align and glue a slightly warped fuselage side.

QzcEyK.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc
Added a photo

Haven't had to use the big clamps shown...yet, usually i'll use roach clips on the rudder and elastics on the main body. I find tape can slack off, lose tension, whereas elastics will exert constant consistent pressure.

Don

Didn't realise this topic would generate as much feedback as it has. I guess I was just wondering if there was some magic bullet I overlooked in regards to gluing and then clamping fuselage halves. Apparently not. Just like in real life. I think I will still get a hold of some and give it a go on trickier non Tamiya, WNW etc fits. And if anyone invents my perfect clamp, drop me a line. I may invest in your invention:popcorn:. Cheers to all!