1/32 Icelandic Fine Arts Buccaneer - Detail Shots

Breaker

6 hours ago, SimonCornes said:

Regarding decals, I am thinking of building a machine in EDSG with the pale blue letters/numbers, etc. Originally I was looking at the Kits World sheet with mainly the RAF machines on it but I have now changed my mind to the one with the test airframes - but I still want some red/blue roundels and fin flashes so if the KW decal enlargement comes off and someone doesn't need the red/blue stuff for their build, please think of me!!

Good looking jet though, you have to admit - certainly prettier than an F4 !! Probably on a par with an F/A-18 on the good looks/bad looks spectrum!!

before getting the Phantom,IAF looked for the Bucc too-more what if projects :coolio:

A friend of mine (now a old man) was on the first Bucc Red Flag exercise. He tells me that when the Buccs arrived they put an engineer into the bomb bay. It taxied to its spot and the engineering team and American brass to meet them were present. Aircraft parked and rotated it bomb bay and a guy got out, whilst the aircraft shut down. You should have seen their hosts faces, dropped jaws apparently.:DThe Buccs and British humour has arrived. He still tells it like it was yesterday.

Edited by Stevepd

I would think probably a CBLS on one outer pylon and an ALQ-119 jammer on the other, assuming tanks fitted? The bombs on the CBLS have the same ballistic characteristics as real 1,000Lb iron bombs or BL755 cluster bomb units so no point in hauling the real things.

On 11/20/2019 at 10:59 AM, Markjames1968 said:

put SIMPLY the bulging will be Seers hack style body to help keep a more constant cross section on the aircraft to increase Mcrit (critical mach) and the shockwaves associated with it

in other words, the more you can maintain a similar cross sectional area along the length of the plane, the better it is aerodynamically, the fuselage gets fatter after the engines to make up for the lack of cross sectional area of the engines at that point.

In other words, the Area Rule principle, also seen on the F-105 and F-102 (the first plane to get the treatment after the straight-fuselage YF-102 couldn't break mach 1).

12 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Tim (Wunwinglow) produces some superb CBLS's... well worth a polite pm. 

I saw Tim’s Buccaneer last night “in the flesh”, it’s a big beastie for sure and will need a lot of work to knock it into shape. I hope there will be some WiP threads here so that we can see how things progress.

On 11/20/2019 at 9:06 PM, Stevepd said:

He tells me that when the Buccs arrived they put an engineer into the bomb bay. It taxied to its spot and the engineering team and American brass to meet them were present. Aircraft parked and rotated it bomb bay and a guy got out, whilst the aircraft shut down.

One thing I've wondered - does the belly tank still rotate and carry bombs on the interior?

Regarding the narrowing of the jetpipes, the photo shown is from a Phantom complete with afterburner.

The non-afterburning Spey in the Bucc is narrower at the rear, the plain jetpipe section beginning aft of that red wiring harness about midway.

Spey-Mk202.jpg

Edited by Chek
Engine detailadded

23 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Tim (Wunwinglow) produces some superb CBLS's... well worth a polite pm. 

Actually I have some as well as Flightpath sets. I initially got them for my Hawk kits. Regarding the Buccaneer I'm currently hesitating between one wraparound camo bird with the four big antiship sea eagle missiles or one with white painted over the green and cbls load... Not an easy choice! 

6 hours ago, Chek said:

The non-afterburning Spey in the Bucc is narrower at the rear, the plain jetpipe section beginning aft of that red wiring harness about midway.

Rats - misread Wikipedia

Bucanneer is RB168 MK101, Phantom is RB168 MK202

Richard

Ok th model arrived safe and well about an hour or so ago, and if I can persuade the cat to leave th box, I'll give you my fist impressions, Bloody Cat!beautifully cat , 

The main fuselage pieces are beautifully cast , th Aluminium reinforced resin makes for a superbly smooth finish , th engraving is good, obviously not Tamiya standards, but a damn sight better than I normally manage

The single piece wings are awesome , excellent surface detailing including exquisite Vitex generators , thank god there ae no tiny PE bits to stick on, and speaking of PE, there isn't any , and to be honest there's no real need fo it ,

Except for the cockpit . Perhaps the weakest part of the kit , all the bits are there Panels, Seats ets, and side walls, but its all a little crude and unformed, BUT  it's a job that any modeller who's worked in 32 should be able to manage to enhance it , and certainly its better that the cockpit pieced in the Whirlibird Lightning T5 conversion I bought this year.

My kit has the bulged RAF bomb bay , so I can put the Balsa and Dope away , thank goodness 

Slipper tanks/Tailpieces all look to be beautifully finished, 

Overall , a beautiful take on an iconic aircraft , there are some areas where I'm scratching my head, and joining the two fuselage halves  permanently is going to be interesting 

Alan - thanks , you've made me a VERY happy modeller 

PS there are RAF decals, ALPS printed , but to be honest they're not brilliant , but better than nothing , and yes pics to follow!

On 11/19/2019 at 7:36 AM, Scotsman said:

A very quick head up for those interested in the Buccaneer , the Uk Haynes manual series has a Buccaneer in its series , and its on sale  from amazon in the the UK for £5

Ordered one after you mentioned it. It said only 5 left. It arrived yesterday and it’s my first Haynes and it’s really quite good:clap2:.

can you post up a photo of the Bomb bay door. I’ve got mine on order, I’m impatiently waiting for that email from Alan:frantic:to say it’s on its way.

Edited by Stevepd