1/32 Icelandic Fine Arts Buccaneer - Detail Shots

Breaker

I Knew about the FGR1 , but not the Sea Harrier .. be still my beating heart .. I'd be tempted to sell quite a number of my organs for a decent first Gen Harrier in 32nd!

Now onto the Buc,

I've just ordered a couple of MB Mk6s to act as the basis for replacement seats , and yes I know the Buc ones are  significantly different , but to my mind Harold's 6's make a better starting point than those in the kit 

9 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I just recontacted Alan as my kit is missing the engine faces. 

I did this a couple of times on 1/48 kits where I used copies of a moulded jet fan but built up the forward stator vanes with slightly twisted plastic sheet strip. It's tedious getting the spacing and the pitch right, but it really does make an immeasurable improvement. In the case of the Spey where the vanes also have that spiral offset they should look very busy indeed and in the Bucc's case they'll be fully visible within the intake.

By the way it is far easier to recreate the twisted blades with thick aluminium foil. One quite easy technique is to mark a circle of the fan face diameter on a sheet, make regularly spaced cuts from the circle perimeter up to close to the center (1 to 2mm far) to separate the blades, glue the turbofan face cone on the center circle and cut cautiously the circle from the sheet to finally twist each blade. With that technique, no problem of spacing and easily twisted blades plus no need to paint anything except the cone! 

I'm glad for everyone who gets these amazing kits, but I'm holding out for the HKM IM styrene FG.1 (and maybe a SHAR from a mainstream label — c'mon Kinetic, you know you want to; just scale up the 1/48 offerings, including the T jump jet kit). I think those subjects will sell well regardless.

But runs of 15 or so could give us very obscure subjects: 1/32 folded-winged Gannet AEW, for example, and maybe bits to transform the Trumpeter Lightnings. Although the latter would likely sell a bunch and drive the resin maker nuts.

Tony 

6 hours ago, Tony T said:

But runs of 15 or so could give us very obscure subjects: 1/32 folded-winged Gannet AEW, for example, and maybe bits to transform the Trumpeter Lightnings. Although the latter would likely sell a bunch and drive the resin maker nuts.

Tony 

Trumpeter Lightnings for some reason that I don’t fully understand are incredibly rare! 

4 minutes ago, mozart said:

Trumpeter Lightnings for some reason that I don’t fully understand are incredibly rare! 

Although in the catalogue, like the MiG-19 kits the Lightnings seem to be OOP. 

Looking fwd to what's in the Trumpy Boss 2020-2021 catalogues, apart from the perennial non starters like Devastator and the two seat Hun. 

I would be up for a 1/32 AEW Gannet. It's so utterly bizarre but such an essential part of British carrierborne aviation in the 1970s. Especially folded-up. Alan's 1/48 edition looks the part.

Tony 

28 minutes ago, Tony T said:

I would be up for a 1/32 AEW Gannet. It's so utterly bizarre but such an essential part of British carrierborne aviation in the 1970s. Especially folded-up. Alan's 1/48 edition looks the part.

Tony 

Let's convince him to scale up 

13 hours ago, Scotsman said:

PS build thread on the Buc coming soon , - I started  in on it last night  - there's a long way to go!

Colin R

I’ll look forward to following that Colin. Much as I love Buccaneers I have no reason to want one, but I’m keen to see this kit  (I’m not sure that’s the right word for it) come together!

Hi, 

Having the kit, I want to clarify something to react to some negative comments regarding that kit. You have to know that this kit does not necessarily ask for a ton of work. The kit is actually quite simple, casting is generally very good and I do not have one twisted part nor any dimensional issue for areas cut into halves. As any resin kit it obviously asks for some cleaning work but considering the airframe complexity and size, I was quite surprised by the very limited amount of resin gates to remove. So, yes you can build it OOTB and get a very impressive result. Probably this will not be the route of most buyers but adding, correcting or refining details is not a requirement but rather a matter of personal choice. To me, the cost/value ratio of that kit is very good and actually better than the one of many injected models I own. I consider that the fact a single guy got such a result is simply incredible! 

34 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi, 

Having the kit, I want to clarify something to react to some negative comments regarding that kit. You have to know that this kit does not necessarily ask for a ton of work. The kit is actually quite simple, casting is generally very good and I do not have one twisted part nor any dimensional issue for areas cut into halves. As any resin kit it obviously asks for some cleaning work but considering the airframe complexity and size, I was quite surprised by the very limited amount of resin gates to remove. So, yes you can build it OOTB and get a very impressive result. Probably this will not be the route of most buyers but adding, correcting or refining details is not a requirement but rather a matter of personal choice. To me, the cost/value ratio of that kit is very good and actually better than the one of many injected models I own. I consider that the fact a single guy got such a result is simply incredible! 

You’ve got it in one there Thierry, an incredible effort by Alan to give us this - we should be very grateful - and I think we are!!

Simon