Revell's 1/32 Spitfire IX - Too cheap?

Grunticus

The base-coat is on. I used paper masks, cut from a blown up pattern I found online:

uc?export=download&id=1dG8N7zbkDMQk1mtbU

Some touching-up to do left and right, but it's turned out okay. I used Hataka Orange line lacquer paint for the first time. The handle very very well and have good coverage. The landing gear has been painted too, and is dryinf after a gloss-coat. Next is wheatering and attachinf the gear.

BTW, I have also used MR Paint for the first time. Wow...just wow... I will order all I need from their line. It's just awesome stuff.  Hataka is very good as well, just not AS good as MR Paint.

uc?export=download&id=18cAwzJ_eUkamjTMMR

uc?export=download&id=1Sg45_0XYBNVafQefW

uc?export=download&id=1aDzQnIylCh4yUQz74

@mozart You weren't exaggerating, what a wonderful addition the plotter is to this hobby, opening up new areas and being creative in new way. Plus it saves money for decals and masks normally purchased (or so I keep telling myself :D ). I can't describe the joy it gave lifting the final mask from the roundels, seeing the total picture and the rivets as if it was bare plastic.

This comes out of the Silhouette plotter:

uc?export=download&id=1iLyTXIoWULTBUtN4E

First, I sprayed the white disk with Tamiya white (the only flat white I have at hand today):

uc?export=download&id=1p4EMFdbU6tMEdMmmx

Next I airbrushed the red and then the blue segment after replacing the segment-mask over the red. This one had a slight mis-alignment near the leading-edge:

uc?export=download&id=15pomHoxjQWFx1qTWZ

Next I re-sprayed the center dot with Tamiya white, and then masked the middle dot for the final orange circle:

uc?export=download&id=1uxzgs9FCpq-GiXJWQ

To my horror there was a residue left behind by the masking foil! The foil stuck quite firmly too, but the Hataka Medium Sea Gray didn't budge. I always felt Mr. Surfacer was a very good primer, and today it proved itself again. The Hataka paint is a trooper too in this respect, nothing lifted. Normally I would remove the residue with ethanol, but I already found out Hataka paint dissolves in that. Luckiliy it turned out the glue residue could be removed with a damp cotton-swab, so it must be water-solluable.

uc?export=download&id=1PKfUA6Azsf-9VCvqf

Residue gone and alignment repaired:

uc?export=download&id=1ua2rShtB8Jn0bZMxJ

It was a tedious job but it gave me a lot of fun and fulfillment when it turned out like it did. The amount of detail preserved by airbrushing them instead of using decals is significant and no worries about conforming to bulges etc. I think it will show once I start weathering. I used these paints below. I think the red and blue are spot-on for period-roundels. The orange might be a tad too light, but overall it works for me.

uc?export=download&id=1B2GFN8u6eX2lrSavf

For the upper wing and fuselage roundels I chose a different appraoch. First I sprayed the orange dot's position in white. I did this in the approximate position for the wing, and in the precise postion on the fuselage sides, only bigger than needed to give me some leeway in mask-placement. Will post end result. I changed my mind and left the gear off for now beacuse I need to handle the kit a lot in this phase.

uc?export=download&id=1n6bQAFcvu2rdzWwrQ

Even happier than before!

Edited by Grunticus

Excellent results!! 

Like you and Max and others, I too found having a cutter/plotter has changed the modelling game for me. I now have just about 0 fear about choosing a scheme I like and not worrying about how to make it. Save some complex 3D nose art type designs and complex multiple colors the Silohette cutters are super capable. IMHO the Silhouette cutters are about the biggest single home modeling leap I've seen in years. 

I have been playing around with the plotter some more today. The serial number was no game for the plotter.

uc?export=download&id=17h8CnE8cy-I7GaVo0

But, to my surprise, neither was this;

uc?export=download&id=1f2j-10cs9GzW04fNW

"Moeders Angst". "Mother's Fear". And how right she was! MK632 crash-landed twice after it was re-serialled to, what else, H-13 . This is as delicate as it gets, so I am very happy with my plotter.

Just out curiosity, with regard these plotter/cutters people are mentioning. Do you mean you can now cut your own vinyl/kabuki masks? 

I'm having a brainwave which may well lead me to buying one in the near future. Can you scan an old decal sheet for example and produce a mask from them?