Revell's 1/32 Spitfire IX - Too cheap?

Grunticus

After my initial euphoria about my masterfull modelling skills I woke up to something bad. The lower enige cover had shifted to one side, most probably under the pressure of the rubber bands holding it in place while drying. While one side looked good (enough), the other side showed a "ledge" large enough for ground personell to sit on and smoke one (or, at least in my mind when I first saw it).

Not too bad:

uc?export=download&id=1peXXxDW2EBT8txTuI

Not too good:

uc?export=download&id=1RoH8ErwFCQrFBp5o5

Now what? Oh well, no getting around it. I removed the shell halves with moderately brute force, luckily without any damage and then sanded away about two millimiters lengthwise, along the seam, making the parts slightly narrower. The I glued them back to the fuselage without glueing the middle seam, and now it looks a lot better. I will have to take cate of those gaps but I think I can manage that. The toothpick was used as a spreader to get even outer seams.

Bad side now much better:

uc?export=download&id=1BzSq5xZRo3Se1AKRm

Good side still good (enough):

uc?export=download&id=1_eGIEYMxaMjXbJaFB

On to the flaps. If you glue them in per instructions there is a remaining gap not there on the real Spit with retracted flaps. To get them closed one needs to remove this inner ribbing on the flap, then it will fit in the fully shut position:

uc?export=download&id=1esZpX97fvtAUtoJc7

Closed flaps, still need cleaning up. I want my Spit to be clean in configuration to radiate as much of it's natural elegancy we all admire so much (plus the Merlin sound IRL)

uc?export=download&id=1ZjW8dH-ZBxAK5p-oG

To finish for today, a few nostalgia shots taken in the earliest days of the resurrection of the Dutch air force after WWII (or LSK as it was known, "Lucht StrijdKrachten"). Early rounded and later style clipped wingtips. I am still trying to find out if MK632 had clipped wings or not. If I can't find proof I will use the rounded tips.

uc?export=download&id=1meegJwwIHH7JWNPiL

uc?export=download&id=1YlpZJ1dUvRpDxUV2U

uc?export=download&id=1CdmRNwWCFH2I7AzgL

MK632 was at one time also flown by William Thomas Klersy, an RCAF ace. It had at least two victories to it's name, one over a Do-217 (his), and one Me-109.

uc?export=download&id=1hW1MJw04ZJ1l3HylH

Still happy :whistle:

Edited by Grunticus
added images

3 minutes ago, AlanG said:

I seriously need to get hold of this kit and the Mk.II. You are doing a grand job

My humble thanks! I can only advise to do so, it's been a lovely relaxing experience so far (foul-ups were my own doing, maybe even with the wing spreader, and so far relatively easily corrected). For the money, you can't beat it if you ask me.

On 11/14/2019 at 4:17 AM, Grunticus said:

Next I filled them with Vallejo acrylic putty. I never used this before and am quite impressed with the stuff so far. The tube has a tiny nozzle which helps to apply it precisely. It dries quickly but needs time to dry hard enough for sanding.

I like that stuff too. Need a big pin to clear the nozzle tho.

Used some on my Mustang and like the way it behaved.

I've managed to spend some more time on the Spit, this is where it is at now, after a coat of Surfacer 1200. Ready for a scan of imperfections that need to be addressed. I have already airbrushed and masked the spy fuselage band.

uc?export=download&id=1k9vFves3XezFAM_b1

The prop and spinner assembly have received a coat of aluminum which I will try to use for chipping-purposes (first time I do the reverse of post-chipping with silver by brush).

uc?export=download&id=1CDoy7WHlffvHXUKjR

The fish-tail exhsausts (both fish-tail and round ones are provided) have recieved a coat of a rust-color. They still look a bit rough as they didn't fit very well. I know there was a weld-seam in the middle, but not welded by my blind grandmother. I will need to clean that up.

uc?export=download&id=1cTYh_H1YHaF1DE5dq

My conclusions about this kit so far is that it is very good value for money. Next time I would replace the following with aftermarket:

• Instrument panel
  • Exhausts
  • Wheels
  • Gun barrels

That would still make it a bargain, but with a bit more satisfaction in construction. But hey, I'm still happy! :thumbsup:

In the mean time I am awaiting delivery of this little toy, so I can start making my own masks instead of using decals. For this one, I will make the Dutch roundels and some of the serial numbers. I already installed the software and it is more than adaquate for the design job. You can even scan and then trace the decals 1:1 (all right then, 1:32).

Edited by Grunticus
spelling

10 hours ago, mozart said:

Well done old chap, she's looking splendid!  The Silhouette will transform your modelling horizon, cutting so much more than stencils - I use mine all the time. :)

I'll second that - the Silhouette is money well spent!

Looking foward to the Spit with paint on.

On 11/24/2019 at 9:37 PM, mozart said:

Well done old chap, she's looking splendid!  The Silhouette will transform your modelling horizon, cutting so much more than stencils - I use mine all the time. :)

It arrived today, and within half an hour I had four perfectly fitting wheel hub masks. What a great toy.....Can't wait to start on the serial number.