Revell's 1/32 Spitfire IX - Too cheap?

Grunticus

A lot has been written about Revell's 1/32 Spitfire IX, and no review can help itself and HAS to compare it to Tamiya's, a four times more expensive kit. Well I do love Tamiya's kits, but can't pass up on this cheap Spit. Hence, my first build on LSP. I switched to 1/32 a while ago because my eyes need bigger things :D

It will be finished as one of these two, haven't decided yet but lean toward the bottom one with the larger roundels:

uc?export=download&id=1GZA5ZblBv_Q8CQ5q0

Starting with the cockpit, I added a few tidbits to make it look a tad more interesting (and expensive :D )

uc?export=download&id=1F84F9__ZSxEMPuuun

uc?export=download&id=1XLDnrgCE0iMpk3S9K

uc?export=download&id=1ljDFU5LJBfjlZnehr

Welcome! Great way to introduce yourself, with a Spitfire that's a little bit different. 

Enjoy it! The Revell kit still has lots to offer for the price, and builds up nicely. 

...and I know what you mean about having eyes that no longer like the smaller scales. ;)

Richard

Some progress. The instrument panel's raised details do not correspond to the decal at all. Shame. Probably the Mk.II panel in the kit.

uc?export=download&id=183rXc8Gk3BeZmY-ch

Both sidewalls with some dirtying-up.

uc?export=download&id=1ej2ozsg9frF934jEL

But the end-result is passable after a bit of weathering. I still have to add the gunsight and compass.

uc?export=download&id=1i1d8MsknZL5HHdvB9

Wing fit leaves something to be desired (could be me of course), especially the right hand side. Not exactly putty-territory....

uc?export=download&id=1cYQqwpRpk0b9DM2ou

From sprue I made a spreader with small metal wire protruding a tiny bit in to the receiving plastic so it will not slip, secured with siper glue.

uc?export=download&id=1K3Jd_v5RV_aOU3Cwb

Much better and within putty territory:

uc?export=download&id=1b5HF9Pw9ZSY8OZRyv

Squeezing the wing dihedral in will also lessen it a tad more. So far, this Revell does not dissappoint me.

Edited by Grunticus
Added images

2 hours ago, Grunticus said:

No aftermarket will be hurt in this build. The seat, while not perfect, looks okay enough I believe.

Did the dutch Spits have the armour plates behind the seat installed?
Revell simply forgot to include one in their kit..

The Revell seat depicts a post war seat cushion which may apply to your Spit.

Nice fix on the wings. I'm taking notes for my build!

12 hours ago, Fanes said:

Did the dutch Spits have the armour plates behind the seat installed?
Revell simply forgot to include one in their kit..

The Revell seat depicts a post war seat cushion which may apply to your Spit.

Nice fix on the wings. I'm taking notes for my build!

They most probably were delivered with them installed. I have no idea if MK632 had it while wearing this livery. I did think about adding it but reasoned it was just dead weight post WW2 and was removed.

Got a bit of work done on the wing seams. First I masked them off.

uc?export=download&id=1r5_oVWowG3mcl5uH_

Next I filled them with Vallejo acrylic putty. I never used this before and am quite impressed with the stuff so far. The tube has a tiny nozzle which helps to apply it precisely. It dries quickly but needs time to dry hard enough for sanding. Obviously I found that out by being too impatient :whistle:

uc?export=download&id=1q57GfS1QITGxlRgAM

Then I smoothed it out with a wet finger, let it dry, and lastly applie a final layer of good old Tamiya putty. I know for a fact it sands out ver smoothly, the Vallejo stuff I will test in that respect on another part of this Spit.

uc?export=download&id=1Fo4RKV8siWXBc6NND

uc?export=download&id=1NJrpedw2-ZUaaEQZ3

I also started on the lower engine cover. To get that to fit snuggly one needs to reserve an hour of their time, but I got it to fit nicely without the need of much putty as i do not like sanding. I still had to invest time, just not in sanding. Plus, the adjescent detail would be destoyed by sanding. That makes me lazy or efficient depending from point of view :D Pics will follow next time.

Still happy!