nmayhew

Where are the next LSPs coming from?

With nothing new announced at Telford, I find myself wondering where the next LSPs are coming from?

Thinking mainly WWII here...

Tamiya seem out of the game, and even if they turn out a kit which will undoubtedly be a stunner, it will be just that - one kit.

Hasegawa are nowhere beyond perpetual re-pops of what are ok basic kits, and were very good 20 years ago, but basically a stagnant selection.

HKM seen pointing to 1/48? Who knows, but any company that eschews a P-51 B/C after once having it slated as next up is not really serious about the 1/32 game in the future to me.

Revell...what could have been, but for the illness (death?) of the guy who did the Ju88 etc. P-51 is super good value; their MkII Spit is well, cheap, and has no competition; these guys should be churning out new kits, but...

Zoukei-mura... again seem to have more than a foot in 1/48 land, and coming out only with some esoteric (obscure?) types every now and then

Dragon... seem to have given up completely after a very good Me109 E and and excellent Me110 C / D / E series.

WNW - apparently it's the Lanc and that's it.

So as much as many like to bash Trumpeter / Hobbyboss, they seem one of the few companies willing to 'dive in' and go for stuff no-one thought of doing before, but seem very popular even if they have some significant issues (moulding or accuracy) eg B-24 that we have, and A-26 that's in the pipeline

The one candle of hope I have is ICM - if they turn more of their attention to 1/32, they could bring us some really good kits I think

I'm not one of the 'the hobby is dying / is dead' guys, but I do think that when compared to 15 years ago, we now seem to have far more behind us than ahead of us, if that makes sense?

PS Mods - wasn't sure if this should be here or in LSP disc - please move as you see fit.

A pretty sound summation Nick. On a purely selfish note I think Silver Wings will keep me going for a while, but I agree there’s not a lot of “mainstream” stuff on the horizon. 

Nick ... 

Some solid observations ... though personally I tend to take the more 'glass half full' approach ...

The world economy (overall) seems to be in a contracted phase at present ... while not a full blown recession everywhere, it definitely seems that there was a period of significantly less 'recreational' spending inside the last 5 years. China's economy had recorded some negative growth figures of late and from memory across a few successive quarters ... that would put a HUGE dent in the sales figures of the likes of Dragon, Trumpeter, Hobby Boss etc ... even their other scales have taken a dive in new kit production.

Dragon were pumping out 3-6 new 1/35 kits PER MONTH at one stage ... they've been backing off for last 4 years or so ...

Takom, Meng and RFM seem to be making merry on multiple boxings of the German big "Cats" ... always popular ... and sticking to the less risky subjects for now!

I fear that, with all the unrest in Europe and various economies taking a dive there, a similar situation has developed for Revell - especially with the internal upheavals as well. It may be quite some time before their "New Tooling" in 1/32 gets cracking again

While Tamiya seems to have indeed given 1/32 a rest for now ... I doubt they'll be gone forever ... It's not like they're chuffing out huge amounts in 1/48 or 1/35 either!

ZM appear to have accelerated development and production ... this year we get 1 changed tooling of the Ki-45 from last year, 2 new boxings of the Skyraiders and 1 new tool kit of the Hs.129 ... Their tooling - once seen by a lot of modellers to be a little on the clunky side - now seems to be developing a Tamiya-esque quality in detail to go with their interesting kit style ... 2 more boxings of the Hs.129 are on the way ... and there's been a series of Fw.190's in development for a while now - from early to late ... a P.51B, Ar.234 and a Bf.109G-6 have recently been announced as in development (in how many boxings?) ... Lord only knows what else he has lined up, as yet unannounced!! ... and while some of those subjects are esoteric - a lot aren't ... I know a few of us are hoping we finally get a "definitive" 109G-6 ... 

HKM seem to be diversifying into 1/48 ... and thats a good thing ... diversification means increased sales potential ... Remember Tamiya and ZM have already gone there!!

It means a healthier product and profitability portfolio - downsizing the B-17 was a genius move ... the existing products on the market were well worn and the "glaring errors" oft bemoaned in '32 are not anywhere near as noticeable in that scale to all but the most fastidious ... I honestly hope they do the same with the Lanc as the now long-in-the-tooth and inaccurate Tamiya kit means there's some money to be made there as well!! ... I think their next complete new tool release in 1/32 is scheduled to be the Spey engined Phantoms (something for the hair dryer heads!!) ... But there's a Ju.52 in pipeline ... and I hope someone can con Neil into seriously looking at a Do.17z and a Wellington Mk.III :D :D

We're supposed to be getting a Havoc from HGW ... and I'm hoping they've got their noggin screwed on right in the engineering and tooling... because there are multiple variants to be made out of THAT kit!!

It looks like were still due for at least 5-10 new subjects a year.

I think that we're in a period of "lull" at the moment ... the market has definitely backed off ... but soon demand will begin to tug on the market once again and a whole host of new stuff will begin to appear.

Rog :)

Good summary.  I think there are a couple of other companies in the mix too.

Kitty Hawk still seems to be still interested in the bigger scales with their recent F-5 and 1/35 Blackhawks, and announced Mirage 2000s.

Italeri seems to have cooled off a bit after their Mirage III and F-104 releases.  When was the last time any news came out about their announced Tornado GR.4?

Similar situation with Academy.  They did just release a nice AH-1Z, but I’m not sure that we’ll see another “big” kit like the F-16 or F/A-18 from them.

Not that other companies won’t ever release a big scale kit, but my feeling is that KH, ZM, and of course WNW, are the remaining main players in 1/32 and 1/35 scale. 

On the HKM front, following a brief discussion, it has been recognized that to reach out to the quarter scale market with their current subjects is to increase the funds available for further subject development in 32nd. It is and always has been neils primary scale.  

The Lancaster will follow into 1/48 as will the B25. In addition they will not just be "scale downs" they will be refined and improved as technology develops. 

The level of detail for the 1/48 Fortress is incredible. 

As far as other manufacturers go, it does appear that they are somewhat stepping away from 32nd at present, but hopefully that will be a mere blip in the Matrix 

That said, i have plenty to occupy my storage capabilites at the moment. 

Edited by Phartycr0c

Very wise of HK to scale down the Lancaster to 1/48th, there will be a huge market for it I imagine, and if as you say Dave it gives them funds to consider further 1/32 models in the future, that's also good news for us.

On a positive note, Airfix seem committed to 1/24th scale, which is good.

And if the standard keeps improving exponentially as it has from Mosquito -> Typhoon -> Hellcat, I'll be a happy modeller.

5 minutes ago, GrahamF said:

I've got an LSP on the go at the moment should be announced at Milton Keynes and for sale, it's a German aircraft not available in 1:32 before. Main parts will be injection  moulded.

Graham

Oh yay!   Probably not up for any guessing games, as this lot is usually Johnny-on-the-spot with that kind of thing.    Looking forward to seeing what it is!    Any new release in the king of scales is a good thing in my book 

Let's be careful about mentioning that HK will do 1/48 Lancasters or B-25's, as Neil hasn't made up his mind about those (he was inundated with similar questions on both days).

Although it would probably be the most logical thing to do, that doesn't means it will happen.

The future will tell.

Cees

14 hours ago, Jan_G said:

... there is SH Whirlwind coming

Yep, I like Special Hobby's off the beaten path subject choices.

They deliver 'fairly' regularly, not over-engineered, better than

average contour and dimension.

Since most kits are injection molded in China, I wonder about

that and the state of the Chinese economy lately.

Just wonderin'   :huh:

Edited by MikeMaben