Learning how to vacuform ...

I want to try to vacuform a windshield and side windows of a +/- 1/50 scale car.

The master is from the kit and is styrene.

Can I vacuform directly onto the styrene master ? Will the vacuformed plastic stick to the master ?

All help is welcome.

Sincerely

Pascal

Hey Pascal you'll have fun at this for sure! I learned last year to make a canopy. I put quite a bit into my post but honestly alot came from a fellow hobbyist at our local club. Simple tools, I learned it's alot about watching the p[lastic and knowing when it droops just enough to indicate it's ready to form. 

In your case you will need to make a mold from the styrene part you have otherwise you will ruin it. Check out what I have here...

and this one from BiggTim has alot in it...

I'm sure others will chime in as well. Looking forward to seeing what you do :-)

• 3 weeks later...

i used kit parts as a master a couple of times, but fill them with carputty before pulling the vac and get them smooth. i had no sticking problem.

if you have a vac part that you want to dupilcate, i also fill it with carputty, but remove the original part if it is thin enough. then i pull over the carputty master.

all done with a selfmade box and vacuum cleaner