Gunze confused....

GSNeil

I agree with you both actually.   Most all the things Bob pointed out are true, with the exception of the outright cost IMHO. Ive used Mr Color for years, and it sprays wonderfully for sure. My only issue was ever inconsistency, as in thinning inconsistencies. One of my grumbles about MRP (the fact that it was pre-thinned, as cost isnt really a factor at this point) is now is one of the things I love about it.  I used to go through a lot of Mr color thinner bottles, and I find that I go through  thinner much less overall since switching to MRP. With the addition of the paints being handled by SB.com, it takes care of another.

If the mix is just perfect on Mr Color, it can spray just as nice as MRP overall. However getting there I have found is the issue. No muss no fuss with MRP I have found, and now I love the fact that I can just open a bottle of MRP, shake it and put some in the airbrush and go..............and each and every time you know the mix ratio will be exactly the same. 

Dont get me wrong I love Mr Color too, as it brush paints very well, and is smooth as glass and quite bullet proof. To get around the brush painting thing with MRP, I just take a bit of the color I used and want to touch up, and put it in a medicine cup, and then another in a bit of water on a candle warmer, and it generally thickens the MRP paint right up so you can brush it. 

#1) Mr Color is A LOT cheaper than MRP for me in the USA. The 10 ML bottle of Mr Color will cover about the same amount of plastic as the 30ML bottle of MRP, so on a cost per ML basis the comparison is irrelevant as 10 ML of Mr Color is the equal of a 30 ML bottle of MRP. Here is what I pay for Mr Color. I buy Mr Color from Asian hobby shops for $1.80 a bottle. Add in 20 ML of Mr Color Levelling Thinner and that adds $0.80 in cost to that for 30 ML of Mr Color costing $2.60 a bottle. I could go even cheaper (but I don't) if I use denatured alcohol as the thinner. The cheapest USA stockist of MRP costs $7.00 a bottle, so in reality MRP costs 270% more. MRP is great paint, (just like Mr Color) but IMNSHO it's not worth nearly 3 times more.

#2) The glass bottles were indeed switched out a few months ago for plastic bottles. That will hopefully solve the breakage issue. Why do you think that change was made? Breakage and costs. I have never had a bottle of Mr Color break. Can't say the same for MRP. And yeah, I'ma clutz and knock over bottles all the time. So rather than worry about spilling it every where I'll just enjoy Mr Color's short squat bottle. Plus it fits better in my paint drawer. Problem solved. 

#3) I'm glad Sprue jumped into the MRP market in the USA. I think they'll do well. Interestingly, since Sprue entered into the market, MRP availability at the other USA stockist has improved considerably. 

#4) For touch up purposes MRP fares very poorly for brush touch up when compared to Mr Color. And that horse race ain't even close. Buying the acrylic equivalent color from MRP just doubled the costs of using MRP. And that's not even considering color matching from two different bottles of paint. You can also let MRP "dry" and thicken a bit for brush painting. No thanks, I'll just open my bottle of Mr Color and dip my brush straight in and have an instant color match. I prefer simple, thanks.

For me, I see no performance advantages for MRP over Mr Color. None, NADA, zip. They are both quality paints, no doubt about it. They both airbrush great, adhere well, and are fairly durable. In addition, since I've been using MR Color for over 15 years, I have no trouble with thinning it either. 

For the record, Mr Color is my favorite paint brand (in case you haven't noticed!) and MRP is second on that list. If a color is not available out of the bottle in Mr Color, I will gladly buy MRP.

And that folks is my opinion and YMMV. 

Edited by modelingbob

One comment about prethinned paints. I wholeheartedly agree they are easy but one reason it is done is it is more profitable. The cheapest part of a paint is the thinner so by pre-thinning, they are adding the cheapest ingredient (plus it is easier to use). One of the largest paint companies I used to work for had a standard rule. Once the paint was done being checked for quality, thin it to just above the bottom of specification - it increases the amount you can sell by adding water or solvent

Dave

19 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

However getting there I have found is the issue. No muss no fuss with MRP I have found, and now I love the fact that I can just open a bottle of MRP, shake it and put some in the airbrush and go.............. 

Brian,

You would get even more coverage from a bottle and much less mess if you varied the order of your steps a little.:rolleyes:

Bill

1 hour ago, Dave Morrissette said:

One comment about prethinned paints. I wholeheartedly agree they are easy but one reason it is done is it is more profitable. The cheapest part of a paint is the thinner so by pre-thinning, they are adding the cheapest ingredient (plus it is easier to use). One of the largest paint companies I used to work for had a standard rule. Once the paint was done being checked for quality, thin it to just above the bottom of specification - it increases the amount you can sell by adding water or solvent

Dave

Yep, and that is exactly why a per ML cost comparison is invalid for Mr Color VS MRP. Makes people "think" they're getting a better deal (when they're actually not). 

i am not saying i'm getting a better deal

i am just interested in spraying the best paint job i can and MRP has raised my game no end in that regard

plenty of master modellers can get awesome results using mediocre or even pretty shitty paint systems

MRP is the only paint i have seen that instantly elevates the modeller up a notch or two, just by virtue of its spraying qualities

if others can get MRP results from those lesser paints, good luck to them

The main thing I like about MRP over Mr Hobby is the fact that I dont have any guess work work it. While the quality of Mr Hobby is quite high, if you mix it poorly it can spray poorly, no matter the high quality of the paint.

The pre-mixed nature of MRP has its downside of being less cost efficient, but the upside of that is the ratio is always spot on. 

For me, I am in the same boat as Nick, I'll choose the best spraying paint, and a few cents extra is indeed worth it for me. While Mr Hobby is a great paint, for me personally that fact that I have to guess at the mixing ratio every time I want to spray, along with the way MRP sprays utterly brilliantly, gives MRP the edge for me.

As Bob said, its all personal opinion and comes down to what works best for the individual modeler. 

• 4 weeks later...

With Mr. Color I mix 10 drops of paint to 20 drops of Levelling Thinner, sprays beautifully each time.  I like Mr. Paint, too, even though some plastic doesn't like it when sprayed on a bit aggressively. I use both, so alles ist gut.

Cheers,

D.B.