EA-18G Growler- Completed

chrish

finally worked up the nerve to tackle the pe. seat belts, (took about 3 hours to bend and fit them) fill in the gun bay vents and fit the cockpit, the top of the ip. is as yet unpainted pending the heads up display frame and reflector. I painted the black parts with Tamiya semi gloss but thinned with Mr levelling thinner, when dry everything supposed to be satin was gloss, I repainted but with the same result, said oh well and shot the whole issue with Vallejo satin. Looks better now.

vFs5vDk.jpg

wF5y1W7.jpg

XBeY01m.jpg

KOkcj1l.jpg

Thanks for looking

Thanks for looking...hope I'm not boring you.:)

I joined the lower forward and upper forward fuselage halves today/ tonight, I had a bit of trouble here and there (I glued the plastic fuselage right side to the resin intake trunking but didn't get the seam tight and didn't notice till after I'd hit it with accelerator! dumb!!) some fidgeting, filling sanding and it's actually not looking too bad now.

A3Fx8cK.jpg

4gVC68H.jpg

the wad of Tamiya filler can be seen at the base of the wing

GdEGXEW.jpg

Here's hoping, as long as I stay on task hey?

OK so I know the shape of the an/alq pods is off and if anyone makes a correction I may revisit and get some for this kit. But I found no pictures or reference to the type of pod Trumpeter wants installed on the center fuselage point, so I copied an existing part and will put that in the location.

Mine is the yellow resin one, on a side note, if I'd known I was going to try this earlier I wouldn't have bothered adding weight to the nose cone!

E2HhA24.jpg

Thanks for checking in on me!

I've begun putting some color on the bug, pre-shading (which I never do but tried here)I wanted to be more subtle than any dark lines so I went with RLM 02 then built up the top coats until I could barely see the underlying dark lines, still unconvinced I may add more color and then darken and lighten the base to get the blotchy touch-ups seen on in service machines. The bottom (FS 36375) is Vallejo, the top is Tamiya (3 different colors mixed to get FS 36320) hind-site being 20/20 I should've used Tamiya on the bottom as well. I also had a bit of a struggle getting gray paint inside the engine air intake trunks.

PGNvXuc.jpg

PzhAQHh.jpg

wUWHoZ4.jpg

S5FhjVs.jpg

I think I'll go easy on the airframe weathering as my (internet references) show a very clean aircraft

the ECM pods and fuel tanks however appear much dirtier.

Ok. this is probably the largest extent of wear on this project, as I weathered the drop tanks and ECM pods last night and gloss coated, decaled and re-gloss coated, now pending a satin coat. I will be continuing the gloss-decal-gloss today as the weather permits, right now it looks too nice out to be in the hobby room.
I went rather heavy on the weathering for the tanks and ECM pods but will go less as I ascend on the model, the pylons will get a bit of a wash and the airframe even less. My thinking, the airframe is a fairly freshly painted machine but tanks and pylons can be interchanged between machines.

sPPhlsI.jpg

DzBeuQK.jpg

oBAZlde.jpg

Thanks for looking

continuing with the build, which is going pretty easy now. I hung the pylons and ordnance and set it up on it's gear. It's a good thing it has metal core undercarriage because it's quite heavy now. I also had to do a bit of paint touch up.

First oops I noticed, I had masked off the tail pipes but forgot to paint the rear of the fuselage.

E6QxWqX.jpg

Tamiya tape to the rescue and fixed.

gGgTamE.jpg

iimq2J9.jpg

beb8pMH.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by chrish

• chrish changed the title to EA-18G Growler- Completed

I added the last few bits I could find in the crate on to the model, calling it done,(canopy not glued down so I can show the office) Remember, I strive for mediocrity

Some pics:

wInWFek.jpg

v2Ls8ts.jpg

VysNHEe.jpg

y8rRBDH.jpg

E3nZiaT.jpg

NjDY66r.jpg

Hy5m6Cm.jpg

QU65Wqd.jpg

and it's older brother D as a size comparison

6j7efUS.jpg

Thanks to all who checked in on me, it was a great fun build.