EA-18G Growler- Completed

chrish

I'm hoping to get a start on this, hopefully this coming week and have it done for the group build deadline...nothing like a late start hey?!

EWd9wfu.jpg

The armload of accessories

CgSJRmW.jpg

0mH7eCx.jpg

My (hopefully) chosen color scheme

U4A0owE.jpg

I'm not sure what all it needs for improvements but I guess I'll burn that bridge as I cross it.

4 hours ago, Telepatu said:

Nice choice! Are those Rhino intakes?

Br, Jani

Hi, and yes they are Rhino intake parts.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Let us know how the Aires exhausts fit.  Their set for the Legacy Hornet is far too small in diameter.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up, I’ll check the fit

I removed the resin (closed nozzle) exhausts from the stubs and did a quick comparison with the kit parts, they're exactly the same size so, if the kit parts fit the resin ones should as well.

I snapped a shot of the kit part then the resin one with my caliper as a reference.

kmT5ajK.jpg

aEI0nFi.jpg

I'm thinking I may try a mix match of parts from the Academy D and the Trumpeter G in the office, not for accuracy but just for better fidelity. If there was a nice resin cockpit I'd be on my way. 

Getting right into the office I discovered I'd need to renovate a bit to get the seats to fit, doing some work in the cockpit would also give me a chance to get rid of some ejector pin marks, kind of fixing two problems in one go. I removed the bottoms from both openings kicked out the walls and put in new flooring.

Here's the cockpit before any work, the seat will not fit, maybe if I forced it?

HmS050P.jpg

pDVuuVx.jpg

The bottom of the cockpit with new styrene sheet flooring installed

dlgK9t1.jpg

Both seats test fitted now. There's still a bit of pour lug on the bottoms I'll get to later.

P0usVsg.jpg

Thanks guys!

7 hours ago, gmctaggart said:

Watching with interest as I have the Academy F-18A that is begging to be done. Perhaps this build will push me to start.

Gord

It’s just my opinion...but that is a better kit than this Trumpeter one.

7 hours ago, blackbetty said:

watch out, the ip coaming is much too narrow and doesnt look like the real thing. i used an academy ip for my E

jakes book is a must (reidair)

Thanks for the warning, I’ll try the Academy ip here if I can, no access to the book you mention...I’m using other folks builds as my reference sources (standing on the shoulders of those who came before me) 

Back in the hobby room, in a bit of a fluff (a manly fluff though) because I lost the rear (GIB's) panel while working on the kit last night. I finally decided I could make my own with spares and bits and pieces and sheet plastic...then realized there were duplicate parts trees because the rear panel is on a external stores tree. Doh!  Anyway, I was having fun so continued finishing my own piece using pictures found on the www. So here's a couple of shots of what Trumpeter gives in the box and what I came up with;

Trumpeter's panel, there is actually a gap/step in the upper screen to coaming but sanding a bit would smarten it right up.

FXAIqO4.jpg

84ZBnns.jpg

This is my attempt at the rear panel, still needing some details obviously but it's in progress.

PKY3D4q.jpg

While I was making shapes anyway I decided to try boxing in the front side walls, still also needing some structural details here but better than looking in and seeing that gap inside the kit...?

R8MZOkv.jpg

YcEigQG.jpg

I'm not going for perfection here, just having fun, no serious attempt is being made at a historically correct/accurate aircraft.

And, as always...thanks for looking

Edited by chrish