F-4C Phantom question

32scalelover

I stand corrected, those do look like LAU-7s in the pic above. On a side note some nice good quality pics of F-4s can be seen here:

https://imodeler.com/2018/10/f-4c-cam-ranh-bay-s-vietnam/

just scroll down a bit. No launcher views but some other details that may be of interest or use. From the site, note the a/c in the foreground doesn't have the insignia under the right wing:

gkittinger_181012_5bc0e46f6bc7b-1600x106

Jari

Edited by Finn

4 hours ago, 32scalelover said:

I will look into the visible differences of the ejection seats. 

Greg

Hi Greg

The closest seat that is available and not out of stock is the H-5 used in the F-8 Crusader. The Navy harness might be different as well as other details but I think it will be the easiest to modify ( QB and Aires). AIM-9B from Eduard or Italeri Mirage and F-104. LAU-7 launchers in Trumpeter F-8, Revell F-4F or Tamiya f-4J. I think Culling Edge made the right seat and AMS but a quick search on the net does not show stock.

Nick

I think I can make the AF37 680 from the tamiya decals I have.  The 829 decals will provide the 6 and the 8 and the other two aircraft codes can be made into the 0 and the 37 below the AF on the tail.  Since no-one makes these decals at the moment, I can't think of another way.   Will need to pick up the eduard Aim-9B and the GTresin outer pylon for the ECM pod.  I will probably just use the tamiya launch rails, ejection seats, and sparrows.  It will not be 100% perfect, but will be close enough to sit on a shelf in my basement where very few people will see it or even know what it is supposed the represent.  I could not have come near this close without all of the boards help. Thanks!

I will try to post a pic when it is done. Not sure exactly how to post pics, but I will see what I can do.

Greg

10 hours ago, 32scalelover said:

I think I can make the AF37 680 from the tamiya decals I have.  The 829 decals will provide the 6 and the 8 and the other two aircraft codes can be made into the 0 and the 37 below the AF on the tail.  Since no-one makes these decals at the moment, I can't think of another way.  

Hi Greg

Don't you know anyone with a Sillouette Cutter to cut masks for you?

Nick

2 minutes ago, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Greg

Don't you know anyone with a Sillouette Cutter to cut masks for you?

Nick

No unfortunately I don't.  It should be fine.  I will know more how it will look when I get to that point.  If it looks like it will make the aircraft look bad, I will look for another way or may just use the 829 for the tail number since I don't know definitively that 680 was the aircraft number used in Bolo.

Greg

5 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Is this what you're after?   Now the question is, on 2 Jan 67 when Olds flew it, did 680 have the RHAW on the tail, the donkey dick under the nose, and the later AF style inboard pylons?  We will likely never know with 100% certainty, although the pics posted here earlier, if actually taken on that day, plus the evidence of Keith Ferris's painting of '680 seem to indicate that the RHAW and donkey dick weren't fitted.

MyPVVw.png

Yep.  That is it.  I am going with the clean nose with the configuration described above.

Greg

Not that it means anything, but it states in that little blurb under the drawing of 37-680 that the the RHAW sensors were fitted in the Donkey Dick and Acorn fairings. Likelyhood is that the aircraft that Col. Olds used would have it as the mission lead. Could also be a reason why SCAT 7 was not used?? not ready for the ops? I tried to search for additional information through google, but only came up with the Silver Dawn support which was new to me. 

There should be available to FOIA information on exact aircraft and configuration through USAF, including to what T.O.  Mod each individual aircraft was at during the mission for those willing to dig that deep. All modifications minor and large would be in the T.O. logs and AF Form 781 (Technical Log) for the aircraft and I'm sure nothing is ever thrown out without first being recoreded...

Added: What about Werner's Wings 32-01?? Seems well researched?

Regards

Harald

Edited by Winnie
Added WW 32-01

9 hours ago, Dragon said:

Barry - decent book? Worth buying?

IMO yes. There are pictures of all USAF MiG killer aircraft.

But it was "my war", I was a participant as an aircraft mechanic and just about any book covering the air war is of interest to me.

Barry

On 11/21/2019 at 10:39 AM, Barry said:

Here's a nice pic.

Posted under the Fair Use act.

8RkIHAr.jpg

Barry

I need to find my old slides. I may have a pic or two of that bird from the early 80's. IPMS Portland, in the glory days before 9/11, held their meetings in the Redhawk's hanger! So saw some of the kill- marked F-4's.