F-4C Phantom question

32scalelover

I am building the Tamiya F-4C flown by Col. Robin Olds for Operation Bolo and I have the revell center drop tank, but I am trying to figure out where to get the outer pylon for the QRC-160 pod instead of a wing tank.  It looks like a different pylon than the one used for the wingtank.

Any suggestions?

Greg

Edited by 32scalelover

Does the standard F-4J have the pylons or just the Marine version?  I will look for the KMC ones too.  looks like they will be hard to find.  No one seems to have them in stock any more.:doh:

Thanks

Edited by 32scalelover

47 minutes ago, 32scalelover said:

Does the standard F-4J have the pylons or just the Marine version?  I will look for the KMC ones too.  looks like they will be hard to find.  No one seems to have them in stock any more.:doh:

Thanks

Only in the Marine boxing of the F-4J kit.  KMC went out of business like 15 or 20 years ago, so they will have to be found on the secondary market.

3 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Remember not to put the kill markings on it if you’re doing it *during* Operation Bolo!

Thanks I didn't think of that.

3 hours ago, ghatherly said:

Here is what you need.  The USN/USMC Phantoms used different pylons the the USAF.

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/gtr32066.htm

Hope this helps.

Gary

25 minutes ago, Cheetah11 said:

Get the ones from get resin products. The Tamiya one in the Marine boxing comes with the extension molded on, so you would need to modify it anyway.

Thanks guys.  I will get a set of these and I  should be set.

One last question. Was the QRC-160 under the right wing or the left or does anyone know fro sure?

Greg

Edited by 32scalelover

6 minutes ago, ghatherly said:

That pod was carried for BOLO under the right inner wing pylon. Bolo left with  wing tanks and punted them prior to contact.

I had seen pics of F-105's with them under the right wing so that makes sense.  I thought the pod was on the outer pylon where the wing tank normally was and the 2 sidewinders were in the inner pylon? That is why they carried one wing tank and the centerline tank?

Edited by 32scalelover

The winders mounted to the sides or the pylon on rails and did not interfere with carried stores. The pod was carried under the pylon away from the missiles.   No CL tank was carried as they blocked safe launch of the fwd sparrows unless the tank was dropped prior to engagement.   BOLO did no carry CL tanks.

glad to help.

18 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Remember not to put the kill markings on it if you’re doing it *during* Operation Bolo!

Does that mean also dumping the wing tank, ECM and those missiles used up to and including the last MiG kill? 

I'd be inclined to do it as "a few days later" armed up for another mission, or post mission with what was left on the aircraft. But that's me.

Tony

And dont forget to leave off the IR sensor..it was a dorkless F-4C...as where several of the Bolo aircraft a great topic in its own right.

The image shot by his crew chief with Gen Olds camera post walkaround prior to the mission shows exactly what he had told Keith Ferris prior to him painting his great artwork.

680 was quite heavily paint chipped being a early camo bird many air raft had poor paint application.

The images from before and post mission show quite a bit of paint scuffing on the splitters etc.

https://static.thisdayinaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/tdia//2013/01/MiG-Sweep-by-Keith-Ferris-watermark.jpg

10 hours ago, ghatherly said:

That pod was carried for BOLO under the right inner wing pylon. Bolo left with  wing tanks and punted them prior to contact.

So what was the purpose of the weapons pylon on the right OB if not to carry the Pod?

Barry

On 11/11/2019 at 6:03 PM, Darren Howie said:

And dont forget to leave off the IR sensor..it was a dorkless F-4C...as where several of the Bolo aircraft a great topic in its own right.

The image shot by his crew chief with Gen Olds camera post walkaround prior to the mission shows exactly what he had told Keith Ferris prior to him painting his great artwork.

Hi Darren,

There has been untold amount of debate over this. Do you have a photo of this? I agree that Mr Ferris's story (I have the print) of the General's memory of configuration and there were many F-4C's fitted with the early D model chinless radome but I not seen a picture of 680 with the chinless radome.

Barry

8th TFW, Ubon Thailand