1/32 ZM Henschel Hs-129 B-2......FINISHED

monthebiff

So, some more progress and a few fit issue's tarting to appear which needed a bit of thought and careful adjustments to over come. Initially I thought this was my making but ZM make a big comment box at the start of this sequence to check it all fita before going for the glue!! First of all I added all of the fuselage panels as none of these are being left open on this build and some care and careful trimming is needed to get a nice looking fit once the glue is added and then it was time to fit the wing spars, a very nice tight fit and simplicity to install.

20191113-102052.jpg

Next it was time to fit the centre lower wing section and here the fit problems appeared, you need to fit this panel as to get a nice tidy joint on the trailing edge of the wing but of you do this you will fing this problem.

20191113-102245.jpg

And if you force it into position you will get a very nasty trailing edge finish, after much careful sanding and adjusting around the foward edge of the weapons bay I started getting somewhere but you also need to remove a few locating lugs on the inside of the panel to achieve the desired effect.

20191113-103438.jpg

Once I was happy with the dry fit of this section I then moved on to the rear central fillet and once again more issue's.

20191113-105023.jpg

20191113-105033.jpg

Once I had the length of the fillet part sorted I was still having problems getting the part to close up with the rear fuselage correctly. After a few check I realised the problem was down to the internal bulkheads.

20191113-104711.jpg

And after a little adjustment

20191113-105730.jpg

and it now fits

20191113-105916.jpg

And lower wing glued in to position

20191113-143248.jpg

Lower outer wing section fitted with no problems

20191113-151816.jpg

20191113-151746.jpg

Some really good progress made today and pleased to get over those fit hurdles.

Regards. Andy

2 hours ago, mozart said:

Why has ZM put in all that internal detail, the wing spars and bulkheads? It seems to make the kit over complicated and perhaps the build up of tolerances of so many bits has resulted in your fit issues, which for sure will not be unique to you. 

That's kind of their thing, isn't it?  All this (usually fictional) internal detail.  Not sure why they do that.

I also find a single decal offering and no seatbelt solution to be pretty lame.

Your progress is coming along nicely, Andy.  Will be eager to see this finished.

Hi Andy, you are doing a fantastic job. I am looking forward to the nest instalment. 
The kit tolerances are very tight , so it is paramount to follow the kit instructions step by step. All "tab leftovers" need to be sanded and removed properly. 
The interior is not "superfluous" because a lot of components are mounted on the spars and internal frames. These will be visible on the finished  model, especially on future releases such as "big cannon" B-3 on which a lot of the interior is visible. 

Radu 

I'll echo what Radu says about tight tolerances after building the Ho 229. Like Wingnut Wings kits, all the mating surfaces have to be cleaned of any sprue gate stubs, flash or paint and test-fitted multiple times to ensure that everything fits. With the Horten, I found that test-fitting several steps in advance helped to minimize any problems, since sometimes a slight mis-alignment wouldn't show up until two or three steps later. But in the end, everything went together perfectly.

Peter

25 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

All this (usually fictional) internal detail.  

The interior is based on factory drawings, Arthur Bentley's drawings and the official technical manuals. The spar may be slightly simplified for tooling purposes (longitudinal ribs are not "perforated" :-) ) but every component is exactly where it should be. The spar is of paramount importance. As you probably noticed, the Hs 129 has a "hollow belly" and there is nothing there to make the wing strong other than using the same method used on the "real thing", respectively using a spar. So, if a spar is needed, why not make it like the real thing and attach parts to it, like the real thing? And please keep in mind that other manufacturers include spars. Take for example the latest P-38 from Tamiya, which includes quite a large spar/internal structure for strength - Tamiya made a "functional" rather than "close to reality" internal spar and no one is challenging them for their "fictional spar". :-) Also, please keep in mind that most of this internal structre on the Henschel will still be visible on the finished model. ZM already made this very complex kit as affordable as possible, in fact it sold in Telford for less than comparable-size 1/32 twin-engine models from other manufacturers, so these detailed parts did not "push up the price". 

Radu 

Edited by Radub

good to have your input on this Radu (were you part of the team that developed the kit for Z-m? Excuse my ignorance)

interesting that the interior spars etc are seemingly good attempts at replicating the real thing - without your comments I would have assumed them a fiction or at best a caricature of what the real airframe had (am thinking Z-m P-51, where the Mustang experten have said this is the case)

i am confused though as to how any of this stuff will be visible on a finished kit though - do you mean through the hatches in the fuselage, as shown here?

what else am i missing?

20191110-113227.jpg

38 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

good to have your input on this Radu (were you part of the team that developed the kit for Z-m? Excuse my ignorance)

interesting that the interior spars etc are seemingly good attempts at replicating the real thing - without your comments I would have assumed them a fiction or at best a caricature of what the real airframe had (am thinking Z-m P-51, where the Mustang experten have said this is the case)

i am confused though as to how any of this stuff will be visible on a finished kit though - do you mean through the hatches in the fuselage, as shown here?

what else am i missing?

Yes, I as part of the team that designed it. Each model is unique and designed differently from previous models. Whatever "experts" said about one model does not apply to any other model. :-) 
You are right, if the hatches are open, all the interior will be visible. The spar will be partially visible through the open hatch for the machine guns in the wing root, the wheel well, behind the cockpit, etc. The bulkheads that the spars attach to will be very visible in the "bay" on the belly if you choose to display your model with the gun "swung down" on the side. On the B-3 version, it will be possible to remove a large panel (removable on the real thing) at the rear to help with loading the revolver magazine - in that case you should be able to see pretty much all the interior from tail to spar, and the spar too. 

Radu 

6 hours ago, Radub said:

Hi Andy, you are doing a fantastic job. I am looking forward to the nest instalment. 
The kit tolerances are very tight , so it is paramount to follow the kit instructions step by step. All "tab leftovers" need to be sanded and removed properly. 
The interior is not "superfluous" because a lot of components are mounted on the spars and internal frames. These will be visible on the finished  model, especially on future releases such as "big cannon" B-3 on which a lot of the interior is visible. 

Radu 

Hi Radu and thanks for looking in,  its definitely an enjoyable kit to build and yes after looking through instructions it's easy to see you need to add all of the internal spars etc and the fit of the main fuselage is excellent. I really like the way the wing spars are mated to the fuselage and is a nice tight fit making for a very robust model and surprised just how quickly it has built up so far.

Regards. Andy