1/32 ZM Henschel Hs-129 B-2......FINISHED

monthebiff

1 hour ago, Peter O said:

Apparently there's some uncertainty about that. Radu's decal notes say that the Germans had delivered other aircraft to Romania in solid upper colors rather than splinter patterns, and that photos of Romanian Hs 129s appear to show a solid color. He says it could be either RLM 70 or 71. Of course, if you do the white distemper scheme, what's underneath will not be very noticeable anyway!

Sorry to be dense, but who is Pastor John?

Peter

Very interesting stuff Peter, its difficult to tell as some pictures indicate a solid colour and others a  camouflage scheme. I've kept the splinter scheme quite muted as I'm thinking a heavily faded airframe with a winter scheme over.

Regards   Andy 

1 hour ago, monthebiff said:

Very interesting stuff Peter, its difficult to tell as some pictures indicate a solid colour and others a  camouflage scheme. I've kept the splinter scheme quite muted as I'm thinking a heavily faded airframe with a winter scheme over.

Regards   Andy 

Yup, I can see it either solid or splintered, depending on the photo and my inclination at the time :lol:. An RLM 70/71 splinter is quite low contrast in any case. I've not seen a photo where I could tell that former Luftwaffe markings were painted out and replaced with Michael's Crosses, so it may very well be that the entire topsides were repainted.

Peter

In the decal instructions I added a line about the camouflage of the Romanian Hs 129. The overwhelming majority of photos show no clear "splinter camouflage". Many photos are grainy and unclear and the low-contrast two-tone green splinter camouflage is hard to discern at best of times but there are some good, clear and well-exposed photos that clearly show that the subjects of those photos were painted in one single colour. At the same time it is entirely plausible that some Hs 129 in Romanian markings were painted in a splinter camouflage but the photos do not show that due to the quality of the light, camera, film, processing, etc. So, in my own personal opinion, it is up to the modeller to have a look at the photos and decide for themselves. The decals are all based on published photos and these references are listed in the instruction sheet.

HTH 

Radu  

Edited by Radub

3 hours ago, florin13 said:

For your project in Romanian colors!

Hs-129 in romanian colors on the western front

Florin

I should have mentioned that the clear photos showing "no splinter camouflage" are photos of Hs 129 with crosses. While is generally accepted that after August 1944 the aircraft tended to be painted in one single colour, photographic evidence shows that the single-colour camouflage was also used well before that, when the aircraft still wore crosses. 

HTH 

Radu 

On 1/20/2020 at 3:47 PM, Radub said:

I should have mentioned that the clear photos showing "no splinter camouflage" are photos of Hs 129 with crosses. While is generally accepted that after August 1944 the aircraft tended to be painted in one single colour, photographic evidence shows that the single-colour camouflage was also used well before that, when the aircraft still wore crosses. 

HTH 

Radu 

Thank you for your input on this Radu, it's very much appreciated. I would be interested to know your thoughts on stencil data as some aircraft seem to have some and others not? Intrigued to know your thoughts on such things as the red "dont walk" areas etc as I'm not to far off adding decals.

As ever thanks for you help and input.

Regards. Andy 

On 1/22/2020 at 12:15 AM, monthebiff said:

Thank you for your input on this Radu, it's very much appreciated. I would be interested to know your thoughts on stencil data as some aircraft seem to have some and others not? Intrigued to know your thoughts on such things as the red "dont walk" areas etc as I'm not to far off adding decals.

As ever thanks for you help and input.

Regards. Andy 

In as far as I can see, the stencils remained in place and most likely they were in German. Interestingly, the manual for the Hs 129 has two ways of describing the way the stencils were applied: in some cases it specifies the colour of the paint to be used and in some cases it specifies codes. I have reason to believe that the codes refers to some kind of "stickers" (possibly self-adhesive) that can be applied easily after repaint. According to the manual the dotted line walkways were painted on but I have no clear images of those walkways even on German aircraft. However, there is one photo of a Romanian Henschel where the walkways are vaguely visible on a "single-colour" aircraft, so it looks like they were preserved or reapplied during repaint. 
The white distemper paint was applied over everything and in those cases the stencils were covered. It appears that the white distemper "squiggles" were applied with what in Romanian is called a "bidinea", a wide and square brush about 20 cm wide that is used to apply whitewash. 

HTH 

Radu 

On 1/23/2020 at 4:15 PM, Thunnus said:

Interested to see how you handle the white distemper.

Me as well John !! I have a few ideas and hopefully I can pull it off. No doubt it will work perfectly on my test hack but as soon as I go near the Hs 129 it will all go wrong as that's how it normally works isn't it !

Regards. Andy 

Decals nearly complete and very happy so far.

20200125-221154.jpg

I have some MRP Orange Yellow on order to bring the previous sprayed yellow bands more in to matching the national markings as mentioned by Florin. Getting there slowly but surely. 

Regards.Andy