1/32 ZM Henschel Hs-129 B-2......FINISHED

monthebiff

16 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Andy,

It's looking sharp! What brand(s) of paint are you using?

Tom

Thanks for looking in Tom, I'm using Tamiya acrylics as usual, I generally custom mix them from ipms Stockholm colour charts. They spray beautifully and I never have any issues with them and I can get them from a local craft store 10 minutes down the road which is helpful 

Regards. Andy 

15 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

+1!!

Maybe you already said Andy, but what scheme are you going with?

Been having a bit of a dilemma over the scheme I am going for, initially it was this one.

12-5.jpg

But after a bit of deliberation I've finally settled on this one today.

prg8as.JPG.jpg

Thought I'd push myself and try a hand painted winter scheme and lots of heavy wear and tear.

Regards. Andy 

A little more done today and added the yellow flashes to the lower wings, nose and tail band followed by the national insignia on the tail.

20200119_152555.jpg

20200119_165221.jpg

20200119_165330.jpg

Time for some decals and a practice on a my test mule (Mk V Spit) to get the white wash technique right!!

Regards. Andy 

39 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

A little more done today and added the yellow flashes to the lower wings, nose and tail band followed by the national insignia on the tail.

Time for some decals and a practice on a my test mule (Mk V Spit) to get the white wash technique right!!

Regards. Andy 

Looks great, Andy! Your build will be a great help when I start mine. The more I see of your build, the farther up the pile my kit floats.

Radu's decal instructions say that the white distemper was painted with a 20cm distemper brush, which scales out to 1/4" in 1/32. I've never heard of a "distemper brush" before, but having been a USAF aircraft maintainer, I can picture some poor private being reamed out by an NCO for using the wrong kind of brush to paint the distemper :lol:

Peter

1 hour ago, Peter O said:

Looks great, Andy! Your build will be a great help when I start mine. The more I see of your build, the farther up the pile my kit floats.

Radu's decal instructions say that the white distemper was painted with a 20cm distemper brush, which scales out to 1/4" in 1/32. I've never heard of a "distemper brush" before, but having been a USAF aircraft maintainer, I can picture some poor private being reamed out by an NCO for using the wrong kind of brush to paint the distemper :lol:

Peter

Peter, pleased you are enjoying the build thread! I have a couple of new flat brushes and definitely have something around that size. I need to have a play around with thinning the paint so it goes down smoothly and getting the brush strokes to look right if I can. Could be a bit of a challenge I'm thinking!

Regards. Andy 

2 hours ago, monthebiff said:

20200119_152555.jpg

20200119_165221.jpg

20200119_165330.jpg

Regards. Andy 

Hi Andy,

I admire what you've done so far, but I can't agree with one thing. Maybe my screen is cheating on me, but from my experience, I can tell you that the shade of yellow is not the right one. You need a yellow-orange, to have the right wedding. When you get the decals from Radu, you will understand what I'm talking about. For the right shade, I use Mr.Paint-142.

Cheers,

Florin

Edited by florin13

1 hour ago, florin13 said:

Hi Andy,

I admire what you've done so far, but I can't agree with one thing. Maybe my screen is cheating on me, but from my experience, I can tell you that the shade of yellow is not the right one. You need a yellow-orange, to have the right wedding. When you get the decals from Radu, you will understand what I'm talking about. For the right shade, I use Mr.Paint-142.

Cheers,

Florin

Hi Florin,

Thank you for your comments and I certainly appreciate your constructive criticism regarding the shade of yellow used so far. I have not purchased Radu's decals as I'm going to use a set of national insignia from my AIMS Bf 110 G2 conversion set. 

I've had a look on line and can see exactly what you mean and also Pastor John seems to have the colour about right. I was assuming that the Romanian machines where in their original german  colours with the new national markings painted over the old ones? 

Regards. Andy 

35 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

I was assuming that the Romanian machines where in their original german  colours with the new national markings painted over the old ones?

Apparently there's some uncertainty about that. Radu's decal notes say that the Germans had delivered other aircraft to Romania in solid upper colors rather than splinter patterns, and that photos of Romanian Hs 129s appear to show a solid color. He says it could be either RLM 70 or 71. Of course, if you do the white distemper scheme, what's underneath will not be very noticeable anyway!

Sorry to be dense, but who is Pastor John?

Peter