1/32 ZM Henschel Hs-129 B-2......FINISHED

monthebiff

6 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Excellent work Andy!  That seam on the flap is a head scratcher.  In return, I hope that Z-M provided a sharp trailing edge for your troubles!

That is exactly the reason that seam is there. 

IIRC, Radu (who helped design the kit if I'm speaking correctly) commented directly on that seam issue, and indicated the reason for that seam was to keep the trailing  edge scale in thickness. Apparently, otherwise the  trailing would have been inches in scale thickness.

16 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Great progress Andy! I am a little surprised about the flap issue; my Toryu didn’t have this.

Cheers,  Tom

Hi Tom,

All a bit of a pain really, keep meaning to have a look at my Toryu as I cant remember how ZM did it, not that I got that far with it yet!

Regards. Andy 

50 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Excellent work Andy!  That seam on the flap is a head scratcher.  In return, I hope that Z-M provided a sharp trailing edge for your troubles!

Hi John, Brian is correct in regards to the thinking behind it and yes you do get a nice sharp trailing edge, especially after putty and sanding sessions on top of that. It's an awkward seam all round to be honest.

Regards. Andy 

19 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Great progress Andy! I am a little surprised about the flap issue; my Toryu didn’t have this.

Cheers,  Tom

2 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Hi Tom,

All a bit of a pain really, keep meaning to have a look at my Toryu as I cant remember how ZM did it, not that I got that far with it yet!

Regards. Andy 

That is a good point.............Ill have to jump ahead a couple of steps and take a peak 

As already mentioned, I designed the separation in the flap of the Hs 129 in such a way as to give the thinnest trailing edge possible. 

I also mentioned earlier that each model is designed individually. ;-)

It seems that Andy dealt with this flap "issue" quite well. It may take a little bit of effort but the result is beautiful and far from "impossible". It looks to me like it was worth the effort. 

Great work so far, Andy. This was never intended to be a "shake-and-bake" model and your work is outstanding. 

Radu

Edited by Radub

3 hours ago, VladHVAC said:

Hey Andy

I've got mine in primer and just started the RLM65 on the lower side. I'm planning ahead on the upper surfaces. What are you going to do for chipping? is it aluminum underneath? I can't find any reference. Maybe the service life didn't allow for much wear and tear. 

Thanks

I would go along the route of aluminium, lots of heavily weathered machines in the book I purchased on Hs 129' s in Rumanian service!

Regards. Andy 

52 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

I would go along the route of aluminium, lots of heavily weathered machines in the book I purchased on Hs 129' s in Rumanian service!

Regards. Andy 

The Romanian machines were driven hard in really tough conditions. I would not use them as a "yardstick" for how the German aircraft looked, especially in the desert. It is best to look at the photos of the subject you are working on. Some Henschels in German markings looked quite clean.

Radu 

26 minutes ago, Peter O said:

Radu has the 1/32 Romanian decals up on his site.

Romanian Hs 129 decals

I've already placed my order :D

Peter

Cool, thank you for sharing Peter, I am planning to do V 2 the bottom scheme on Radu's sheet. I also ha e a set of Rumanian national insignia on another decal sheet which I was planning to use and the rest I can spray on using masks!

Well, that's the plan.......

Regards. Andy