1/32 ZM Henschel Hs-129 B-2......FINISHED

monthebiff

6 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Cockpit looks great, Andy!  Do you crumple the HGW belts before assembling?  I've done the crumpling per the instructions but I'm not totally happy with the results as (a) the belts can be harder to handle when they are crumpled and (b) some of the surface of the belt fabric can flake off.  Just curious how others do it.

Hi John, I always go for HGW belts on my builds and never crumple them before assembly. I just make them up, stain them with a thinned oil mix and that's about it really. 

Regards. Andy 

Next thing to concentrate on was getting the rear fuselage bulkhead complete so this was painted followed by adding a couple of belt anchors as well as a couple of Bob's Buckles eyelets in readiness for the armoured headrest restraints

20191230_170522.jpg

With this sorted I fitted the cockpit tub in to place 

20191230_160800.jpg

Now this is where things are getting a bit interesting in the fit side of things as the tub is connected to the fuselage by not a lot and very springy. Next I added the canopy rails and the lower fuselage tub sections

20191230_175031.jpg

Lots of room for play here including lots of room to make a mess of things, need to have a think about it now as the upper nose section fits perfectly at the moment 

20191230_180619.jpg

So my thinking is to add the upper nose section and then close the gaps slowly around. 

Regards Andy 

Edited by monthebiff

An out of focus picture but sitting in the last remaining Hs 129 relic.   Ha!  Thanks brother D.  

This picture was taken in the early 80’s I recall.  I remember a couple other exotic Airframes laying around outside for display at the Victory Air Museum.  A rotten hulk of a Baka bomber and crashed PBY fuselage,  there was also a P-47 and several engines types and wrecks laying around the museum out door in the elements all on display.    

Looks like Ike a little RLM 65 is still showing.   I visited this self touring museum a couple of times and distinctly remembering the hinged armor plate on the Hs 129 seat.   Maybe on this visit it was already removed?   

I hope this this cockpit section is still being cared for.     

Thanks D!   

Troy 

So some progress this weekend, I now have all of the external nose panels fitted, first up I worked on the upper nose panel and I really like how Zm have gone around this in clear plastic including the screen 

20191214-114349.jpg 

Everything was painted up, leather decals added as per the cockpit picture I have been working on and then built up ready for installation on to the cockpit tub. Really like this sub assembly and the way it goes together.

20200104_163215.jpg

and fitted to the cockpit tub 

20200104_205542.jpg

Have some small gaps here and there to deal with,  it's an awkward area to get right with so much movement of the internal cockpit tub when adding the external panels and with all of the work done on the cockpit internals this is what can be seen with it all together 

20200104_205459.jpg

All very dark in that very tight and cramped cockpit but all worth the effort.

Also managed to get a quick test fit of the engines as well 

20200104_213621.jpg

Nose section needs some  tidying up and then on to getting engines and nacelles fitted.

Regards. Andy 

42 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

Holy cow, Andy!  Everything looks terrific!

Hey Gaz, I'm happy but also disappointed at the same time, lots of small gaps to sort. Some no doubt my fault but some due to the basic assembly sequence of the foward fuselage assembly which is so flimsy until the outer panels are added.

Regards. Andy 

Edited by monthebiff

Nice update on the Henschel build, Andy!  Z-M kits (in my limited experience anyway) require very careful fitment of internal parts so that they don't compound and add up to bigger fit issues as you get the external components.  So when you stumble onto a vague fit, it's nervous time!

How are the canopy masks that Z-M provides?  One thing I hate is to have a mask lift during the painting process and Z-M uses a masking material that I am not familiar with.

On 1/5/2020 at 12:54 AM, Uncarina said:

Andy,

Like assembling a Swiss watch! It looks fantastic coming together.

Cheers,  Tom

Definitely getting there with it Tom, not to much more work till Incan get painting.

Regards. Andy 

On 1/5/2020 at 2:45 AM, Troy Molitor said:

I certainly agree with Tom’s comments above.  Great update Andy.  I really want this kit but not liking the one decal option currently.  Any Romanian decals for this a/c I would never consider.   

Hi Troy and thank you for your comments. Its really disappointing to open the box on this kit and have one only marking option. Hopefully someone will come up with some cool decal options. I quite like the Rumanian machines and have suitable national markings and the rest I can make up from various masks.

Regards. Andy