Macchi M-5

sandbagger

Hi all,
I've added radiator cowl support struts (0.5 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube).
Also the air pressurisation pipe (for fuel tank) between wind driven pump and the fuselage fuel tank. Made from 'PlusModel' 0.3 mm lead wire.

Now to do are:

The auxiliary pipe between the fuselage and the intake manifolds.
The throttle control rod from the cockpit to the two carburettors.
The fuel supply pipe between the fuselage fuel tank and pipe between the engine carburettors.
Oil pressure pipe between the engine and the cockpit gauge.
Magneto wiring from cockpit starter magneto to engine.

Mike

radstrut.jpg

pressurepipe.jpg

Hi all,
I've attempted to represent the various controls from the cockpit to the engine.
Given the limitations of the model (especially after so many alterations) and a lack of information, some 'poetic license' was employed.

The auxiliary pipe from between the fuel the intake manifolds (0.5 mm Nickel-Silver tube with 0.8 mm brass tube connection).
The throttle control rod from the cockpit to the two carburettors (0.2 mm Nickel-Silver rod - throttle lever and support from 'spare' photo-etch).
The fuel supply pipe from the fuselage fuel tank to pipe between the engine carburettors (0.5 mm Nickel-Silver tube with 0.8 and 1.0 mm brass tube connection).
Oil pressure pipe from cockpit exit to engine (‘Model Factory Hire' (MFH) 0.4 mm black tube). 
Cockpit starter Magneto wiring from cockpit exit to engine magnetos (‘Model Factory Hire' (MFH) 0.4 mm black tube). 

Now it's onto prepping the rigging before the upper wing is fitted,

Mike

strutcover.jpg

contdone1.jpg

contdone2.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
On the homeward stretch now.

The upper wing with pre-rigged lines, has now been fitted.
That included of course the scratch made struts - tricky but done.
The tail unit (fin/rudder and elevators) has also been fitted.

There's a way to go before the aircraft is finished, let alone the figure and display base.
Some of the things needed include the necessary paint touch-ups, final rigging, tail plane support struts (scratch), attach wing floats, gun sight, upper wing vent pipe (radiator).
One last major job left to do are the wing outer bracing struts, which as usual, are not supplied in the kit.

Mike

tailwingon.jpg

Hi all,
I've some progress on the wing outer bracing struts, which are not supplied with the kit.
Created from 0.9 mm diameter tube, formed into an aerofoil shape and with internal 0.5 mm locating rods soft soldered.
Beforehand the locating holes of 0.6 mm diameter were drilled into the upper and lower wings.
I've still got the central cross bars to do, but nearly there,

Mike 

outerstruts3.jpg

outerstruts4.jpg

Hi all,
As the aircraft model is more or less finished, I've started on the pilot figure.
The figure is the ‘Allarmi’ WW1 Aces of Italian A.F. (32063). 
The figure had a walking cane in the right hand, but I've removed that as I intend to have the figure leaning against the fuselage.
I also chose to use the head without flying helmet and goggles, as the aircraft will be on its beaching trolley and trestles (so not about to fly). 

Mike

figure1.jpg

Hi all,
The pilot figure has been painted.
With that done the Macchi M.5 model is now finished, apart from setting it up on its display base.

Thanks to everyone who followed this journey and for your encouraging comments on what turned out to be a 'challenging' build.
I'll be posting up the completed model photographs once the display is done, which hopefully will not be long,

Mike

pilotdone.jpg