Macchi M-5

sandbagger

Hi all,
I'm calling the fuselage finished.
I've scuffed the underside roundel to represent water wear.
The fuselage was given a weathering coat of Dark Dirt clay wash 'Flory Models' to represent general grime, especially as crew and mechanics had to walk on the cockpit decking.
It was then sealed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC-311) lacquer.
A second light wash of White was applied to give an indication of salt spray and to highlight the fuselage panel nail lines, then sealed again.

Now onto the wings,

Mike

fusdone1.jpg

fusdone2.jpg

fusdone3.jpg

fusdone4.jpg

fusdone5.jpg

fusdone6.jpg

Hi all,
The propeller is finished.
Hand made wood laminate special from 'ProperPlane'.
Airbrushed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC-311) with a few drops'Tamiya' Hull Red (XF9).
Erosion protection stripes (either Copper, Tin or Mondel (Copper-Nickel Alloy) brush painted.
Propeller bosses brush painted with 'Mr. Colour' Stainless Steel (213).
Final sealing coat of 'Tamiya' Clear Orange (X26).
Propeller bosses coated with 'AK Interactive' Kersosene (AK2039).

Mike

propdone.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,
I've started working on the wings.
The wings were covered in Clear Doped Linen (CDL), but of a much lighter, almost white' finish.
Photographs of the aircraft show darker ribs tapes over the lighter covering, which I'm assuming was because the rib tapes were effectively double thickness linen.

ribbing.jpg

The wing were primed with 'AK interactive' white AK-759.
The wing spars were masked off and airbrushed with thinned 'Tamiya' Smoke (X19).
The masking was removed and the internal cross bracing wires drawn on with a pencil.
Pre-shading was then airbrushed with thinned 'Tamiya' Smoke (X19).

wing1.jpg

The wing was lightly airbrushed with the white primer to tone down the pre-shading and spars.

wing2.jpg 

The raised detail was then lightly sanded to highlight the wing ribs and outer edges.
The whole wing was then sealed with 'Alclad' Aqua Gloss (ALC-600).

wing3.jpg

'Aviattic' clear Bleached CDL (ATT32044) was used to cover the wing.
The same decal, cut into 2 mm strips was used to cover the rib tapes.

wing4.jpg

This is a long tedious job as both sides of the upper and lower wing need to be treated this way, but hopefully it'll have the desired effect.
I still have the roundels and markings to apply, plus any final weathering and a sealing coat of semi-matte to finish.

Mike 

Brilliant efforts to follow along.  The dark dirt clay wash from Flory models.  Your last model you used a white clay wash I recall?   I need to research this product.   I love the way it comes out for you.  Never over done just the right amount always applied.  Thanks for sharing this with us.

Troy 

Hi all,
I think that's as far as I can take the top roundels.
The inner white ring was replaced with the same 'Aviattic' CDL decal used to cover the wing.
The reason being that photographs show what appears to be CDL inner roundel rings, not painted white.
Moving on now to the undersides of both wings.
That means red and green outer areas with CDL centre sections and 'ghost' roundels' under the upper wing.

Mike

toproundels2.jpg

Hi all,
The wings and tail plane/elevators are finished.
The underside of the upper wing has 'ghost' roundels visible from the roundels on the top surface - created with masks and airbrushed..
The heat deflector panel (for engine exhausts) on the inboard left wing painted with 'Alclad' Steel on black primer.
Final weathering applied using 'Flory' fine clay wash.
Surface finish airbrushed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen,

Mike

wingdone1.jpg

wingdone2.jpg

wingdone6.jpg

wingdone3.jpg

wingdone4.jpg

wingdone5.jpg

Hi all,
And the lower wing floats.
The kit supplies the earlier 'hull' shaped wing floats. which were attached directly to the underside of the lower wing.
Also supplied are the later 'ski' type wing floats, which were attached to the underside of the lower wing with support struts.
Once again no surprise that the kit does not supply the support struts, just the floats!!

I made the support struts from soldered micro-tube and chiselled recesses into the underside of the lower wing so the floats are correctly positioned, taking into account the 3 degrees of wing dihedral angle.
Some Macchi M.5 aircraft had wing floats of just varnished wood, others had markings such as Italian roundels, white discs etc.
This particular Macchi M.5 had the Italian tricolours applied, similar to that of the fin.  

Mike

floats3.jpg

floats7.jpg