Macchi M-5

sandbagger

Hi all,
As my build of the Austro-Hungarian Aviatik 'Berg' D.I is complete (apart from the display case), it's time for me to get back to the Macchi M.5 build.
Thanks to input from other modellers I have more information that I'll need to include in this build,

Mike

Hi all,
I thought I get back into the Macchi M.5 by hitting the beaching trolley and trestles first.
The four tie rings on the corners of the beaching trolley are metal rings.
The photo-etch parts supplied in the kit are flat and two-D.
Therefore I cut away the 'rings' from the photo-etch parts and replaced them with rings of 0.5 mm diameter lead wire.
I also modified the photo-etch tie ring holders to suit the replacement rings.

Also in the photograph you can see protective padding, which I'll be adding to the trolley and trestles.

Mike

cartpadding.jpg

tierings.jpg

Hi all,
The beaching trolley and support trestles are done.
The metal wheel rims were annealed to make them easier to bend and to give a better 'used' look.
The wood beaching trolley and trestles were stained with 'AK Interactive' wood wash, then sealed with 'Alclad' Flat (ALC314).
The top padding was represented with 'Tamiya' Rubber Black (XF85) and algae staining by water based ‘Derwent’ Inktense 24 pencils.
Wear on the padding was from sponging 'Tamiya' weather set E (green) and dirt on the axle from 'Flory Models' dark dirt wash,

Mike

beachingdone.jpg

Hi all,
True to form this kit has already shown problems.
The instructions indicate where the forward bulkhead and pilot's seat support should be located.
The bulkhead locates on the hull bottom (effectively the cockpit floor).
If the instructions are followed, it will result in the hull bottom not fitting into the fuselage as the bulkhead would be too far forwards.
The pilot's seat support location is such that, when fitted, the pilot's seat is too far rearwards in the cockpit, so needs to be moved forwards on the seat support.
This means the control column is then too close to the seat.

The forward bulkhead is shown in the correct location.
The pilot's foot boards assembly may need to be modified to move the control column forward and away from the pilot's seat

Mike

correctloc2.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
I've cut away the centre foot board and rear cross member on the hull floor. This allows the control column to be positioned more realistically, otherwise it would be too close to the seat.
Also allows fitting of the 'V' shaped seat support.
A notch was cut into the centre cross member on the hull floor to allow the torque bar of the control column to be adhered to the hull floor (better support)
These changes will allow the control column to be positioned further away from the front of the pilot's seat,

Mike

correctloc3.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
I've modified the pilot's foot boards and seat support to:
Cut away the centre foot board and rear cross member on the hull floor. This allows the control column to be positioned more realistically, otherwise it would be too close to the seat.
Added more lightening holes in the seat back, as per the official drawing.
Added the 'V' shaped support (made from thick paper) below the seat. This also housed the control column torque tube, aileron control bell crank and aileron control pulley and control cables.
Added nail head indentations to the foot board to cross member joints.

Mike

seat.jpg

seatsupport1.jpg

seatsupport.jpg

cockpitmods1.jpg

cockpitmods2.jpg

Hi all,
There's still a lot of detail to do for the cockpit area, including thinning and roll edging the seat as well as adding the bulk head seat fixing at the top of the seat.
Also the seat needs to have the access for the seat belts to pass through, as the kit instructions show them positioned over the sides of the seat, not through it, 

Mike

seatrollandfixing2.jpg

Hi all,
The rear edge of the cockpit rim was fitted with shoulder padding which is not in the kit.
I represented this padding using 'Milliput' putty. Once it has fully cured I'll clean it up. 

The photo-etch supplied with the kit has part 19, which is intended to represent a curved support for the top of the pilot’s seat, although I could not find any references to this type of seat support.
However photographs do show a fixture connecting the top, rear edge of the seat to the rear bulkhead of the cockpit.
I represented this fixing using 0.5 plastic rod. 

The inlet and exhaust valves on the 'Isotta Fraschini' V4B engine are operated by an overhead shaft.
The kit shaft is moulded as one shaft. The actual engine had three separate shafts.
Also the shaft mounting to the engine do not align.
I'll correct by cutting away the mountings from the shaft then drill out the three segments and insert brass tubes.

Mike

seatfixing.jpg

shaftgaps.jpg

camshaftalignment.jpg

Hi all,
The valve operation on the 'Isotta Fraschini' V4B engine is strange by comparison to other in-line engines of the period. 
Normally the inlet and exhaust valves on each cylinder would be operated from a single overhead 'camshaft'.
However photographs and drawing for this engine show three separate shafts, each operating the valves for its cylinder bank.
I can only assume the drive for the three shafts is located below them in the lower half of the overall housing, which is not represented on the kit part.
The kit part, including the inlet manifolds seems to have been modelled more on that fitted, for example, on the Daimler-Mercedes in-line engines.

operatingshaft2.jpg

I've modified the overhead operating shaft by cutting it into the three sections, removing the kit shaft and replacing it with 1.8 mm diameter tubing.
This required some re-profiling of the operating shaft mountings at each end of the engine (radiator and propeller shaft ends), including 2 mm extension to fit to the end vertical drives.
The tubes still need to be blocked at each end as the shafts were solid, not tubular.

operatingshaft5.jpg

This has also shown up several other areas of the engine that require attention (so far):
Both inlet manifolds and the two carburettors are incorrectly moulded - the manifolds too long and wrong shape - the carburettors are joined, but in fact were separately located.
No spark plugs location.
No water pump supplied in the kit.

Mike 

Hi all,
Work continues on modifying the kit engine to represent what the engine actually looked like.
I've now added a 'camshaft' below the 3 vale lever shafts from 1.8 mm diameter tube.
Also added a pair of 'Taurus' magnetos and a drive shaft (from the spares box).
Finally the drive at the rear end of the engine (1.0 mm tube and drive head modified from spares).

It's all a bit rough at the moment and I still need to add water pump and if possible and oil pump, plus their associated pipes (where possible).
Also the ignition lead support tube etc.

Mike

engbuild1.jpg