Macchi M-5

sandbagger

Hi all,
Normally I never work more than one model at a time, but I'm waiting for decals to arrive for my 'Aviatik 'Berg' D.1 build.

Therefore I thought I'd make a start on another 1:32 scale 'HPH Models' resin kit.
This is the Italian 'Macchi M-5 single seat float plane fighter.
I know already there may be some areas of this model that will need some attention, so we'll see how this one goes,

Mike

header.jpg

kit1.jpg

kit2.jpg

kit3.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Hi all,
I've removed all of the major parts from their resin backing sheets or blocks and cleaned away any residue and flash.
The fuselage fin support is moulded with a slight curve on the top edge, which needed to be flattened.
There were no substantial 'blow holes' on any of the parts, but there were a few rough spots, especially under the rear of the fuselage. It looked like it had been filed to remove resin?
The main problem to sort was that the various struts have steel reinforcing struts moulded inside, which should protrude from the ends of each strut for location into the model.
However most struts had at least one that only protruded from one end. I had to drill a 0.5 mm diameter hole into the end of the strut, where I thought the pin should have exited.
Once the end of the pin was seen I carefully twisted and pushed the pin up through the strut until it protruded from the end.
Tricky as you know how brittle resin can be when stressed - however it worked.

The next step is to 'open up' the cockpit and two forward ports in the top of the fuselage, which by the way is moulded mostly as a solid piece so is pretty heavy!!

Mike

Hi all,
My research is throwing up more apparent anomalies - this time with the flight controls.
The kit instructions show both the rudder and elevator control 'cables' exiting from an open aperture in the fuselage support fairing for the tail plane and fin/rudder assembly.
These cables are attached to the rudder control horns at the base of the rudder itself and to control horns only under the elevator halves.
However it seems that:
The rudder cables exited the fuselage at the base of the support fairing and were routed back to the rudder control horns, which were in fact attached the rudder post and below the rudder assembly.
The elevator 'cables' it seems were more likely to be a push/pull rod which was connected to the elevator control horns only under the elevator halves. This method of control would only require control horns on one side of the elevator as it was a push or pull control.
Finally the model does not have aileron control cable exit openings in the rear decking behind the pilot, from where the cables were routed up and into the underside of the upper wing.

As an aside the model does not have the filler cap for the fuel tank, which should be located at the right side at the top of the rear decking panel.

This is all detailed, with illustrations etc, in the PDF build log I'm compiling as I go along.

However before I sort that lot out I need to 'fettle' the tail unit as the there are a few issues to be corrected there as well,

Mike

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
I've 'fettled' the basic tail unit.

Fuselage support fairing re-profiled and drilled.
Tail plane drilled.
Fin re-profiled and pinned.
Rudder pinned.
Elevator halves pinned.
Rudder control line exit holes in fuselage drilled.
Support fairing aperture opened up for elevator controls.
Rear fuselage notched for rudder post.
Rudder post added to rudder.
Photo-etch rudder control horn added.
Assembly all test fitted.

Just elevator control horns then its on to the cockpit end,

Mike

tail1.jpg

tail2.jpg

tail3.jpg

Hi all,
A little more progress.
The ailerons have been rounded off at the leading edges and pinned to the upper wing for animation.
The fuselage support fairing for the tail plane/elevator/fin and rudder has been hollowed out to allow the elevator controls to be fitted from inside the fairing.
I've replaced the elevator control horns, which seemed over scale, with two from a 'Parts' 1:48th scale set.
The cockpit area and ports in the decking have been opened up,

Mike

aileronspinned.jpg

aperture.jpg

elevatorhorns.jpg

openedcockpit.jpg

Hi all,,
Just a few updates for the Macchi.
Engine support bearers with added photo-etch bearer plates (kit part), cross bracing anchors (Gaspatch) and added nuts (RB Motion).
Also drilled out three lightening holes into the resin top struts and 'opened up' the fasteners around the engine cowls and the nail heads on the top of the forward fuselage.
The kit now supplies alternative wing floats but no support struts, so these were made from soft soldered 0.7 mm diameter brass tube.
I've also added all of the rigging points around the aircraft.

Now it's onto scribbing in the wood panel lines onto the fuselage,,

Mike

beareretch3.jpg

anchors.jpg

floats4.jpg

Hi all,
I thought I'd take a short break from the resin model and start on the 'easy' job of constructing the 'laser cut' wood trestles and beaching trolley.
Hmmmmm - most of the parts have not been laser cut through, just scorched the surface.
So these will need to be cut out manually and some parts are quite thick,

Mike

trolleytrestle1.jpg

trolleytrestle2.jpg

Kev:

It's not turned out to be too difficult.

Hi all,
Just a small addition.
Not represented in the kit is the fuel filler for the tank.
The initial versions of this aircraft were based on the Lohner T.1, which had an oval fuel tank, connected by a filler tube to a filler cap on the decking panel.
However the production Macchi M.5 had a cylindrical fuel tank. Drawings of this aircraft don't show a filler tube to the decking panel.
Photographs instead show what seems to be a cover plate over an aperture in the decking panel.
My assumption is that when this cover plate was removed, it gave access to the filler cap located on the tank itself.

Mike

fuelfiller.jpg

fuelfiller2.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
Just a couple of updates.
The fuel filler cap access panel has been added and is now 'dished' into the decking panel, as can be seen on the previous photograph.
Also the model had a pre-moulded circular access panel on the left side of the rear decking panel.
As I can't find any evidence that it existed on this aircraft, I've assumed it was supposed to represent the fuel filler cap access panel.
If so it was the wrong shape and size and on the wrong side of the decking panel.
I've removed it. If I'm wrong it can easily be re-instated.
I've built the wood trestles and beaching trolley, although they need to be cleaned, stained etc and have the photo-etch parts added.

I'm off for a two week break tomorrow so no more updates until I get back,

Mike

fuelfiller3.jpg

trolleytrestle3.jpg 

Edited by sandbagger