Hobbyboss F-84E Robert Scott

Thomas Lund

Actually bought this one around april and started it immediately, but haven't gotten around to making a build thread. Dont have many pictures of the process, sorry, but this is from today.

I really fell for this F-84 since it was good looking and it was flown by Robert Scott - ex-Flying Tiger and this plane carries the flying tiger insignia's too.

The decals (Zotz) said to paint the wing tanks in a color matching the decals for the tail... fat chance I thought so I decided to paint the stripes. Quite a bit of work... one of those where you think "I should have invested in stocks in The Tamiya Tape Company". Done now, but a bit of clean up is required. I've painted the USAF legend and will paint the insignia and most other markings, except the stencils and a few other bits

yDUSb7L.jpg

That is looking sharp! Deserves a trophy for sure. I see your point on those stripes. The tamiya tape just didn’t go down consistently did it? Still it must be small as I can just barely see it in the pic. Those lines look really good and parallel, excellent job. Did you foil it or paint?

On 11/9/2019 at 2:04 AM, themongoose said:

That is looking sharp! Deserves a trophy for sure. I see your point on those stripes. The tamiya tape just didn’t go down consistently did it? Still it must be small as I can just barely see it in the pic. Those lines look really good and parallel, excellent job. Did you foil it or paint?

I painted it using the new(er) Vallejo metal paints. I am amazed how good these are - strong and easy to apply, only have to watch for not pooling them on the surface. Then it looks terrible. Only gripe is that the different aluminium shades are too close and does not - in my opinion - provide enough contrast to each other. So I painted the panels with 'Burnt Iron' and toned it down with a mist of duraluminium

On 11/9/2019 at 10:05 AM, MikeMaben said:

Cool, never seen that one  :speak_cool::popcorn:

The original

HFacyhn.jpg

uze5JSp.jpg

Thanks guys

• 1 month later...

Ok - painting complete. Painted all markings except stencils (boy there are a lot on a jet) and the personal markings.

NUP7S28.jpg

But I do hate those rubber wheels. Only game in town is apparently the Fisher ones but I couldn't find a EU source. Ordering from outside the EU often results in a 20 EUR 'fine' (aka handling fee) plus 25% VAT and that would have brought it up to an unacceptable price. Good thing I speak 3D

Pu01fVt.jpg

and a good friend with a 3D printer - awfull color, but a coat of primer fixed that

2iNWT3I.jpg

98F6LzP.jpg

Getting close now

Thomas, that is a  very good looking Thunderjet, your choice of changing the striping process, and painting it matching the tanks was a good one.

These jets had some very nice paintjobs in reality, you did her justice:clap2:

greetz

Jack