Fw 190D-9 "late" color question

I pulled a Fw 190D-9 with the late tail from the SOD, What puzzles me is the color call out for 

the fuselage sides which according to the instructions (color No. 26) is Gunze 74 "sky duck egg green".

I have this paint but to me it looks just like the RAF Sky - that's why I bought it. Did the Germans indeed

use an equivalant color or is this just a "close" call out? My knowledge is more than limited in this regard.

Any hints or help would be greatly appreciated.

Lothar

Edited by Lothar

This light green color was very  common on late war Luftwaffe aircraft. Of the seven recovered  D-9s I know of all but one had light green over painted RLM 76 light blue. I have also seen it used on He 111s of KG 55. We have a oval panel from a JG 6 A-8 that has light green over painted light blue 76.The color film that shows rail cars with Painted cowlings of D-13s had light green and RLM 76 together. As far as I know there is no proof that this light green is a variation of 76 . It is separate color. That information is based on a theory by a researcher.

Cheers, Jerry

Because if their massive shortages near the end of the war, manufacturers had to produce with what they had available. 
Although the RLM was pretty strict regarding their requirements, a guess they had to turn a blind eye to tone and quality of the paint being possibly produced by more than one paint manufacturer using forced labor, substandard or missing ingredients and a frequent rain of allied bombs. Also, the 190 was constructed in sections by different manufacturers, each section painted to a set specification. It is possible that the paint they received between them belong to a completely different lots of RLM 76.

On 11/8/2019 at 10:39 AM, Lothar said:

I pulled a Fw 190D-9 with the late tail from the SOD, What puzzles me is the color call out for 

the fuselage sides which according to the instructions (color No. 26) is Gunze 74 "sky duck egg green".

I have this paint but to me it looks just like the RAF Sky - that's why I bought it. Did the Germans indeed

use an equivalant color or is this just a "close" call out? My knowledge is more than limited in this regard.

Any hints or help would be greatly appreciated.

Lothar

That type of color is not too far off from RLM 02, but it doesn't make any sense for them to tell you to paint the fuselage sides of a FW-190 Dora RLM 02!

I would just use some type of RLM 76 as the others have said.

27 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

There’s no such thing as RLM 84. 

Yeah, Yeah I remember all that from back when I did some FW-190 builds,

and don't care to open that can again, but within our little hobby paint manufacturers

did make bottles labeled RLM 84.

Two I have are;

Aeromaster Acrylic 1035

Pollyscale 505324

They are a tad lighter than my bottle of MM 2049 Sky type S

1 hour ago, ringleheim said:

That type of color is not too far off from RLM 02, but it doesn't make any sense for them to tell you to paint the fuselage sides of a FW-190 Dora RLM 02!

I would just use some type of RLM 76 as the others have said.

I have some Humbrol RLM 76 that is way to dark to be 76.  It's not far from 02.   I will lighten it at least 50/50 when I use it.  A good guide is to look at some color photos from the period.  Against RLM 74/75, it almost looks white.

Edited by Gazzas

On 11/8/2019 at 6:14 PM, Jerry Crandall said:

This light green color was very  common on late war Luftwaffe aircraft. Of the seven recovered  D-9s I know of all but one had light green over painted RLM 76 light blue. I have also seen it used on He 111s of KG 55. We have a oval panel from a JG 6 A-8 that has light green over painted light blue 76.The color film that shows rail cars with Painted cowlings of D-13s had light green and RLM 76 together. As far as I know there is no proof that this light green is a variation of 76 . It is separate color. That information is based on a theory by a researcher.

Cheers, Jerry

Thank you Jerry, your description "blue green" in the "Yellow 10" convinced me.

5 hours ago, Ralph-D said:

A modeller never gives up, i found the post:

Dora 9 color question

see answer from Mikester, BradG and David

Very helpful, I think there's not too much I can do wrong mixing my own "paint" B)

Lothar