crew chief blackhawk

with the diffrent versions off the blackhawk comming out im looking around to make a dio with one and crew

now i found the crewchief standing for the firewatch

now is the crewchief a member of personel that go in the air like the side gunners?

and iff he is going in the air where is he sittng or standing in the cabin

Thanks Mark

8 hours ago, mark31 said:

with the diffrent versions off the blackhawk comming out im looking around to make a dio with one and crew

now i found the crewchief standing for the firewatch

now is the crewchief a member of personel that go in the air like the side gunners?

and iff he is going in the air where is he sittng or standing in the cabin

Thanks Mark

Hello,

I started my military career as a helicopter mechanic. Later I became a crew chief. After a couple of deployments to South America and the Middle East, I was accepted to Officer training to become a pilot.

A crew chief in the Hawk community is a mechanic. If the kid is high speed, he is chosen from the maintenance platoon to go the flight platoon. His job is to be a flight mechanic, fire guard during starting and shot down, a gunner, another set of eyes, load master, etc.

The gunners are soldiers not usually from aviation for example quartermaster, fuel supply, even cooks. All trained in aerial gunnery. (Their hearts get a little broken after a deployment because they go back to their original job).

The Hawks require a minimum of two pilots and one crew chief (CE).

The Chinook (my bird), require a minimum of two pilots and one flight engineer (FE) but most of the time they fly with a couple of CEs in addition to the FE for training.

All crews in the US Army: Pilots, FEs and CEs and Gunners, wear the same exact uniform, although the FEs and CEs have a safety strap attached to their flight vest, know as the monkey tail to prevent them from falling from the aircraft.

In the Blackhawk, the CE will take seat pretty much anywhere they want to, but the CE seat is located at the small window area directly above the main landing gear. Depending on the situation, the switch position if alone or work areas of scanning if more than one CE in the bird.

In the picture, the CE is in his seat.

I hope this help you.

xxYTdb4.jpg

4 hours ago, mark31 said:

thank you sir for the info

so iff imcorrect after start up the crew chief enters the black hawk and will take place bihind his gun iff one is instald

Mark

Correct. He is a Non Rated enlisted Crew member and the pilots are two Rated Crew officers.

6 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

Actually the UH-60 has a minimum crew of 4 now. 2 pilots and 2 crew chiefs. No more strictly gunners. The requirements and safety of flight changed the crew to 4.

Both crew chiefs share in the load of performing crew chief duties before, during and after flight.

Tim

Did the change happened due to the night taxi incident in Florida? 

I don't know what incident you're talking about but to properly clear the helo during operations, their needed to be a 4th crewmember in the back. 

I remember when I crewed, the requirement was only 3 so the left side was never cleared while taking off, inflight and landing. I sat in the right crew chief seat, so I could not see over to the left. Gunners were good, but a 2nd crew chief works out ALOT better!!!

Tim

Tim