phantom

2020 IPMS Nationals-SanMarcos

From an Italian point of view it seems to me that you are underestimating the storm that is coming to you, I hope I'm wrong for you (you are half of my clients) good luck.

Indeed, European countries are amongst the top ones regarding Healthcare and the number of dead people is alas skyrocketing. We are now forced to stay at home in most of our countries and this is probably going to be the rule for some months. It looks the curve of contamination in the US is alas evolving quite similarly to what we had weeks ago in Europe. I really hope that you will have a different experience but I would not bet on that. Regarding the fact the contamination rate would go down thanks to the hot days, I'm hoping that but also wondering when I'm seeing the current situation in Australia. Useless to say all our modelling events have been canceled. I'm now crossing my fingers for the autumn ones wherever they should be located! 

10 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Indeed, European countries are amongst the top ones regarding Healthcare and the number of dead people is alas skyrocketing. We are now forced to stay at home in most of our countries and this is probably going to be the rule for some months. It looks the curve of contamination in the US is alas evolving quite similarly to what we had weeks ago in Europe. I really hope that you will have a different experience but I would not bet on that. Regarding the fact the contamination rate would go down thanks to the hot days, I'm hoping that but also wondering when I'm seeing the current situation in Australia. Useless to say all our modelling events have been canceled. I'm now crossing my fingers for the autumn ones wherever they should be located! 

I'm already beginning to dread the possible cancellation of our two local annual autumn shows, but if they are, I realize that'll just give me another year to prepare for them in 2021, which might just work out OK.

Posted (edited)

so this is from San Msrcos Ipms website.

COVID-19 Update!The convention team is still moving forward with planning for the 2020 convention. While we are well aware of all the social distancing and quarantine policies in place around the country these are temporary in nature and we are continuing with the assumption that by late July these will be restirctions will be lifted. The planning team will continue to track this issue closely. Click here for more information from the City of San Marcos.

the bit where it says click here (last paragraph  above) shows this:

COVID-19 Information and Prevention | City of San Marcos, TX https://www.sanmarcostx.gov/279/Coronavirus-and-Flu-Information-and-Prev

I do hope I am allowed to fly into USA by July  and the restricted travel is lifted for  European travellers from UK..

I have not cancelled MY hotel room who also  have updated ME via E-mail   from the Horrld CEO as I guess most of the San Marco's hotels where everyone is booked has  done do too.

Let's hope and pray that everyone stays safe and well.

Edited by MARU5137

I know the organizers are trying to be optimistic, but honestly, I wouldn’t be making any non-refundable plans to travel to Texas in July.  I really don’t think we’re going to be back to anything resembling normal by then.  The U.S. is currently just starting to see the tip of the iceberg.  Much more to come.

22 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Sorry Thierry, but your statement that the number of dead people is skyrocketing in Europe is not entirely accurate.  Italy, Spain - and to a far lesser extent France and the UK have experienced deaths in the excess of 100 - with Italy unfortunately over 4000.  Really given the percentages only Italy and Spain have death tolls that are sobering thus far.  In the rest of the EU and the UK the numbers are still low, in some cases quite low given the amount of those reported to have contracted COVID-19.  In my country for example as of yesterday the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control an estimated 14,138 have been infected with 43 deaths, a bit over .3% hardly skyrocketing.  Several other EU nations have similarly low death rates.  I am not trying to downplay the seriousness of the situation; however, sweeping and inaccurate claims do not help keep a clear focus, or calm head.  The measures our respective nations have taken to slow the spread of the virus were necessary due to the abject stupidity of large swaths of our populations who do not have the sense of responsibility to take reasonable actions to protect themselves, or more importantly others as many believe the universe revolves around them.  In closing, I urge everyone to inform themselves about COVID-19 on the websites of the various health organizations in the world if the want to read accurate, unemotional and non-partisan facts and data about the current pandemic.

Ernest    

Hi Ernest. I get your point but considered Europe as a whole. I did not considered member states differences as I did not want to open such a debate... Some countries are better managing that crisis partly because of the knowledge of the Italian case. So, looking at Europe as a whole, we can hardly conclude this did not increase drastically. By the way, my main customer is the European Union and I'm supervising the availability of some critical governmental ops centers over Europe (including one in Berlin). Consequently, I've daily figures from the WHO. Wait for the beginning of April to have a better view of the casualties as we are still in the part of the curve going up. I'm not having a pessimistic or optimistic view on that. I'm just observing the evolution of the figures daily and consider seriously the forecasts the EU is receiving from epidemiologists. I do not want to generate any fear. If you thought that, you alas misunderstood my post. Sorry for that. 

8 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi Ernest. I get your point but considered Europe as a whole. I did not considered member states differences as I did not want to open such a debate... Some countries are better managing that crisis partly because of the knowledge of the Italian case. So, looking at Europe as a whole, we can hardly conclude this did not increase drastically. By the way, my main customer is the European Union and I'm supervising the availability of some critical governmental ops centers over Europe (including one in Berlin). Consequently, I've daily figures from the WHO. Wait for the beginning of April to have a better view of the casualties as we are still in the part of the curve going up. I'm not having a pessimistic or optimistic view on that. I'm just observing the evolution of the figures daily and consider seriously the forecasts the EU is receiving from epidemiologists. I do not want to generate any fear. If you thought that, you alas misunderstood my post. Sorry for that. 

Hi Thierry, no worries and I understand not wanting to get anyone upset about comparing how countries are faring with COVID-19.  You are right the curve is ascending; and probably will for the next few weeks.  Like you I do not have views at either end of the emotional spectrum, and I did not think you think you were trying to spread fear or to purposely give misinformation; sometimes things do not come across like we expect or want when writing in a language not our native one.  No need to apologize, and I hope I did not sound overly critical of you.

Ernest

I just returned from the grocery store, and was amazed to see so many empty shelves. I also noticed though, that several stock people (more than normal) were feverishly working to re-stock lots of stuff just as fast as they could. It's certainly an interesting situation, and one that I never thought I'd have to contend with in my lifetime. I'm not real impressed with hoarders, but many of the clowns around here seem to be driven by fear rather than logic.

Now are stores are finally coming to their senses, and are not only limiting purchases, but also letting people who are hoarders know that there will be no refunds no toilet paper, paper towels, baby wipes, ect ect. 

I was amazed by a similar behavior in my country. Fortunately, this was limited to a minority of people. I discussed that with my wife and she quietly told me this was not surprising! She is a psy and explained to me that the 90% (in the best case!) of the population (who have no anxiety syndrom or no kind of mental disorder or sickness) suddenly see how such crisis disturb that minority whereas, usually, this is an ignored issue... Frightening but true! 

On 3/20/2020 at 8:40 PM, phantom said:

If they cancel San Marcos, that will give me 2 years to prepare for Omaha. I am not planning on going to Las Vegas next year.

Hello ...any updates?

MY hotel booking still stands.However not booked  a flight ... 

:hmmm:   still keeping tabs  on this deadly virus..

thank  you.

And Thierry I concur....

MARU 5137.

Give it a month. The virus cannot live in sunlight, or over 80°F. Keep your house clean, you clean, avoid touching your face. These are basics. No flu in the summer.