WW1 from 1/48 to 1/32

Fred Jack

Back in the 60s, like today, few companies made WW1 planes. Most were 1/72 and 1/48. There were 1/28, but these were limited to Fokker Dr-1s, Sopwith Camels, and late SPAD Xllls and much later, a too fat Fokker D-Vll, however it was the large 1/28 planes that steered me away from 1/72 and 1/48.

i loved my collection of 1/48 WWl planes in the ‘60, and would love to see it again in 1/32. Here is what I remember as missing: Gotha G-V, although I am happy with the G-lV, De Havilland DH-10, Breguet 14, Airco DH-4, Albatros C-lll, Curtis Jenny, and I think that’s all I can remember. Anyone else knows of anything I missed? I do really love what has been produced which goes far beyond my expectations. First injection models in WWl was Hobby Craft with the Nieuport 17 in various gun configurations, Late SPAD Xllls, two Sopwith Camel versions, Cleget and LevRhone, and two Fokker Triplanes, Dr1 and F-1. Then came Battle Axe, who released five fighters. But the next big contributer was  Roden, but only in single seat fighters. Then the biggy, Wingnut Wings, the first ever company to produce multi-place aircraft which even includes heavy bombers in 1/32nd scale. We are seeing a couple of fighters by Aviattic and Copper State Models and a modification to the poor Academy Camel by Roo. I’d like to show my appreciation to all the companies, in production and now past that made this possible.

Edited by Fred Jack

I echo your sentiments about the Breguet XIV and the Albatros C.III. It seems that these were rumored about early in the WNW releases with anticipation (even by Dan San Abbott, may he rest in peace), then the Breguet Datafile photo had us all anticipating some amazing releases from WNW, but no... we got some good planes instead and some weird ones, but that is what WNW do. As for the Albatros C.III, it sat on Special Hobby's future list for a decade. Hasn't it been long enough for us to declare it as dead as a Trumpeter TBD Devastator and let someone else make all three of those kits without fear of competition?

By the way, thank you to both WNW and Copper State for the Starstrutter. Buy one from both and keep them producing.

Tnarg

8 minutes ago, Tnarg said:

I echo your sentiments about the Breguet XIV and the Albatros C.III. It seems that these were rumored about early in the WNW releases with anticipation (even by Dan San Abbott, may he rest in peace), then the Breguet Datafile photo had us all anticipating some amazing releases from WNW, but no... we got some good planes instead and some weird ones, but that is what WNW do. As for the Albatros C.III, it sat on Special Hobby's future list for a decade. Hasn't it been long enough for us to declare it as dead as a Trumpeter TBD Devastator and let someone else make all three of those kits without fear of competition?

By the way, thank you to both WNW and Copper State for the Starstrutter. Buy one from both and keep them producing.

Tnarg

I think the C111 and Breguet will be out sometime. They still have a backlog of 2 seaters.

7 hours ago, Tnarg said:

Tnarg

What is a starstrutter? One thing that I see with CSM, in my 71 years, I have never seen in print any where, a Nieuport referred to with Roman numerals instead of numbers. I saw Nieuport XVll, and I was set back a few minutes until I realized “Oh yea, a Nieuport 17.

3 hours ago, Fred Jack said:

One thing that I see with CSM, in my 71 years, I have never seen in print any where, a Nieuport referred to with Roman numerals instead of numbers. I saw Nieuport XVll, and I was set back a few minutes until I realized “Oh yea, a Nieuport 17.

The French referred to aircraft using Roman numerals but the British didn't, hence why 'Nieuport 17' is commonly used in English nowadays instead of the (correct) 'Nieuport XVII'. Contemporary French documentation refers to the majority of French designed and built aircraft with Roman numerals (i.e. Nieuport XI & XVII, SPAD VII & XIII etc.).

1 hour ago, vince14 said:

The French referred to aircraft using Roman numerals but the British didn't, hence why 'Nieuport 17' is commonly used in English nowadays instead of the (correct) 'Nieuport XVII'. Contemporary French documentation refers to the majority of French designed and built aircraft with Roman numerals (i.e. Nieuport XI & XVII, SPAD VII & XIII etc.).

For Nieuports, things seem to have changed around the Nieuport X. Everyone seemed to use roman numerals up to that model, afterwards they diverged. Russia seems to have got particularly complicated

Richard

Edited by RLWP