F-100D Thunderbirds SIX Foiled Again - Finished!

themongoose

Looking the part wouldn't want to cut all around those letters :blink: but I never did this beFore but couldn't one use metal primer (aka Body work etc) on the foil thEn paint ?  Like I said I never done this so just wondering if Someone tried it 

8 minutes ago, rigor said:

Looking the part wouldn't want to cut all around those letters :blink: but I never did this beFore but couldn't one use metal primer (aka Body work etc) on the foil thEn paint ?  Like I said I never done this so just wondering if Someone tried it 

Yeah me too. I tried autobody primer and acid etching primer for bare metal with no success. I finally got something to work by sanding the foil with 400 grit. My wip on the F-84 has a slew of info on what i tried. Others have had success so I think it’s more about my technique than anything. More practice :hmmm:

Seems like a long time for just a little evidence of progress. Had more seem work to do after 1st coat of primer...as we all expect i bet. 2 small spots will need some work tomorrow but it should be quick. 
008B813D-DC0C-48D4-A964-62FF5478CFEA-L.j

I will have to put the wings on before i do the color coats. Should be some progress again tomorrow. 

Turned out to be a busier day than expected. Forced myself not to rush through things and turned my focus to just cleaning up a few seams and getting the wings on. Pretty happy with these. Both tips are within 1/4mm of each other.

2C15297F-EDDC-4FDC-82E4-01BD7D6B205C-XL.

5D02A2D3-22A2-45A1-A679-3E43EEB5C62A-XL.

on a side note, things I’ve tried and advice I’ve heeded - the Monalisa gold leaf foil glue is a little stronger than microscale (the tape all over in pic above reminded me to note this) and isn’t as susceptible to glue balls forming when sprayed giving the plane a smoother surface. I have learned to make up my foil as needed . Even upside down over wax paper it’s only good for a few days before it has sucked dirt out of the air and onto the adhesive :-)

Until next weekend, enjoy your plastic!

Nice job!  I've heard about that stuff, (Monalisa gold leaf foil glue) and have looked for it at my local Hobby Lobby with no luck yet. Might have to just order some off the net!

What are you thinning it with? (assuming you are shooting it through an AB)

Thanks Brian. Thinning with 91 IPA. I ended up ordering it online myself. It was on Michael’s website but not in the store by me unfortunately. Soap and water for cleanup before it dries, i run some IPA thru the airbrush last just to make sure it’s clean, then ipa to clean any glue residue off the plastic when i redo a spot.

• themongoose changed the title to F-100D Thunderbirds SIX Foiled Again - Wings On

Finished today what I wanted to do Friday night lol

Beautiful day here so worked on the model until lunch and then got a little outside time. 63F here in Cincinnati. Surprising for February that's for sure. 

The Thunderbird graphic was up today. This completes all the major painting. just the gear doors, air brake and small stuff from here on out. This shot is in the paint booth but once I get the foil on around the paint I'll take a couple better shots.

60238832259__B79E2805-33EA-4918-98F2-103

• themongoose changed the title to F-100D Thunderbirds SIX Foiled Again - More Paint

Thanks so much guys for the comments and support!

For those of you familiar with American football here’s 4 quarters (no halftime) of work lol

IMG_2903-L.jpg

I used the kit part to roll the slight curve into it. I’m sure glad Eduard has pdf’s for these or it would have been harder for sure. Blowing up the images is almost a requirement, especially on the older instructions without color as it’s hard to tell where pieces go.

Super day on the Thunderbird once I got the driveway shoveled.1st snow accumulation of the year here. Definitely a mild winter.

I finished up the canopy. I followed EricG's technique and used a set of sliding brass tubes to install the canopy. I have to admit I sat for a minute before cutting off the kit attachment points, hoping I could do it right. It turned out pretty good. 

IMG_2917-L.jpg

All the paint and foil on top of this bird is complete. I did have to redo some foil around the letters. It was just too much handling and me not paying attention to how I was holding it, for the small pieces of foil inside letters like 'C' and 'R' and 'A' to not lose some of it. 

IMG_2916-L.jpg

Work on the landing gear has begun. Any build I've looked at where they adjusted the length of the main gear the plug removed was 2 or 3mm. I opted to take out 2.5mm for the sole reason that it was the width of the ejector pin mark right above the oleo area. One less major spot to fill on a curve AND it was just above a ring so no one can tell the leg was separated and then reattached. I did the standard here and rifle drilled the leg, made the cut and realigned it with a brass rod inside. Should be strong enough now as long as the rod for the wheel holds up.

IMG_7553-XL.jpg

And that's it for tonight. Hopefully another big day tomorrow. I'd love to finish this week and take it to Blizzcon in Columbus OH but I'm not getting my hopes up. Lots of little stuff to do yet.

• themongoose changed the title to F-100D Thunderbirds SIX Foiled Again - Canopy