F-100D Thunderbirds SIX Foiled Again - Finished!

themongoose

The 1st slat is foiled and test fit. I just put 3 fingers in to hold it in position. 

225CB2BD-C4F3-41B8-AB9B-CC239A13E0DC-L.j

Here's some detail shots. let me know what you think. I rolled the foil over the trailing edge so that the edge would look smooth. I then trimmed it with a straight edge. It leaves just a faint line on the underside which I think it ok but would like some opinions on it.The top of the slat is the shiny side of the foil and the bottom is the dull side to try and represent the actual plane.

551B66FC-8346-40EA-8958-B6BC0341C7DA-L.j

97EAF019-BCAE-4D75-80EB-2F57998C0C98-L.j

5771D859-2A2C-4269-BC9C-C3FCAA3F2535-L.j

ED3AF0B4-9E2D-4D69-88BE-FC3B7C545318-L.j

• themongoose changed the title to F-100D Thunderbirds SIX Foiled Again - Foiled Slats

To keep my focus strong I decided to work on finishing the tail. Had an idea to simplify the painting on foil issues from past attempts. 1st the paint. No risk of it pulling off this way :rolleyes:
IMG_7461-XL.jpg

Then the kabuki tape goes back on it. Then the foil.

IMG_7462-XL.jpg
Some very fine trim work guided by the edge of the tape and it’s time to uncover the result.

IMG_7466-XL.jpg

for the red stripes i used black as the primer to get a different tone than the tail. I wanted something that would look more heat affected. Will just look at it for awhile and see if I like it or not.

• themongoose changed the title to F-100D Thunderbirds SIX Foiled Again - Foiled Tail
3 hours ago, Neo said:

Man cutting the SIX out of the foil must have been crazy hard

you know i did 1 for a test thinking it might be too much effort but it turns out there’s a clean edge from the tape to cut against. Went faster than I thought so this method got the nod :o Will see if I’m this positive after that big “u.s. air force” down the fuselage lol

Getting ready to foil the wings and fuselage. With the paint on both it seemed a requirement to slip a few pieces together and get a look at what the end result may look like. One of my stars and bars will have to be redone. It lifted for some reason which is an oddity. Fortunately only the blue needs redone but I put it on the backside for the pic :-) 

IMG_2882-L.jpg

while paint was drying I worked on a few other components. Got the mid-air refueling probe made up out of brass rod. That's probably the only piece worth showing :-)

IMG_2881-L.jpg

Slow progress the rest of this week as the kids are in the high school musical. Lots of fun for sure. I'll get to spend some time catching up on everyone's builds this week. Lots of hurry up and wait and pick-ups and drop-offs to do.

4 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

Impressive work there,  much patience required I imagine? 

yes for sure! Pretty sure i pulled the tape too early at the end and that’s what messed up my stars and bars. I was shocked to discover I’d spent 45 minutes putting all the masks for them back on to start the colors. Surprising how much time goes by. All the red white and blue on wings and fuselage sides took 4 hours.

Looking marvelous

1 hour ago, rigor said:

I'm confused :huh: why decals before foil :hmmm:but then again I never foiled a plane before am I missing something 

If I'm not mistaken its actually paint. Occasionally some paints have a tendency to not stick to certain foil. In this case it is a way around applying the painted marking directly to the foil. 

7 hours ago, rigor said:

I'm confused :huh: why decals before foil :hmmm:but then again I never foiled a plane before am I missing something 

Hey Rigor thanks for the question :D  I’m painting the major markings on instead of using decals. With foil it’s tough to get them to look good because of the carrier film especially when they’re large like this. I tried painting over the foil but had lots of problems with my paint staying stuck to the foil :BANGHEAD2:  so I decided to foil around the paint. It’s worked out pretty good so far. 

initial thoughts on doing paint then foil are mixed. Nothing negative but i think the ‘pro’ that wins out is that doing foil then removing a section and painting gives a flush surface between foil and paint. Right now i have a small lip. Maybe I can smooth it out yet, will wait and see.

• themongoose changed the title to F-100D Thunderbirds SIX Foiled Again - Foiled Wings & Spine

Well I've got as much done as I can on the wings for now. The rest will wait till after I glue them on since there is alot of blue paint that has to match up to the fuselage across the bottom. I started on the main fuselage today figuring that I need to finish down through the lettering so that cutting around the black letters is easier without the wings attached. 

IMG_7478-L.jpg

IMG_7477-L.jpg

In the end I just wasn't happy with the stars and bars so off they came. Will redo the masks with Maketar and try it again when I paint the stripes.