Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (in flight)

Robthepom

I thought I'd join the F-16 club, there seems to be plenty being built at the moment. I'm planning on doing in-flight version.

I'm not sure if its allowed  but i will be building 1/72 version at the same time, if anyone has ordanance for 1/72 kit and want to sell, please PM me.

If there is objection to a few pics of the 1/72 build just let me know and i'll delete/change my posts 

I have a set of HGW wet transfers for the kit, i have no idea how they work, should be interesting

LCZ0crk.jpg

udpow2r.jpg

yaMCvMz.jpg

gR2moLH.jpg?1

ZW8ROBI.jpg

thanks mongoose, i actually need to tone down the shadows, i hit the figure with some flat clear and the wash went pop

I'm considering trying some black basing on the fuel tanks and undersides, so thought I'd better practice 

WiVGQrb.jpg

CoXYzwF.jpg

Oxoi4zn.jpg

Evb63PT.jpg

BXIk7SZ.jpg

K2fdXbn.jpg

the basic technique is very easy but perfecting it ......... wow you are one pass of the mist coat away from making it look average, its a lot harder than it looks. The spatter dots are from when i sprayed one area of the scotchbrite to much

Always learning

“the basic technique is very easy but perfecting it ......... wow you are one pass of the mist coat away from making it look average, its a lot harder than it looks.”

man I’m totally with you on this! I just did this B-2 and all my time faded with a mist coat across the top. Like your figure, sometimes it pops when adding flat and sometimes it lightens. Any experience with that on your practice bird? I’d love to get a kick start on what does it.

On 11/14/2019 at 3:08 PM, themongoose said:

“the basic technique is very easy but perfecting it ......... wow you are one pass of the mist coat away from making it look average, its a lot harder than it looks.”

man I’m totally with you on this! I just did this B-2 and all my time faded with a mist coat across the top. Like your figure, sometimes it pops when adding flat and sometimes it lightens. Any experience with that on your practice bird? I’d love to get a kick start on what does it.

I'll try a flat coat on the mule next time i load the airbrush with it

Sometimes i wonder what it is about modelling that makes me spend 4 sessions perfecting(almost) a seam on a fuel tank.....twice. Outsider looking in just wouldn't understand. The first pic is the amount of gear i use for seam filling, crazy really, haha but great fun hey

N9wA6uS.jpg

6932pFM.jpg

And then to top it all, i checked references and there is no separate nose cone on the tanks so i will have to fill and sand that as well:frantic:

TDVCtdJ.jpg

Edited by Robthepom

For the 370 wing tanks attach the pylon before painting. The aggregate is always painted together unless the pylon is swapped during maintenance.  On the nose, both seams need to be filled since they are welds. 

Edited by JAWS

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is becoming the slowest build ever, just no time at the bench at the moment

The fuel tanks are complete, I'm just wondering if the should be a matt finish or maybe semi gloss???

I made a right mess of the exhaust can, terrible masking job, going to have to start again

4On1rz9.jpg

a6gos2R.jpg

rMd0lTJ.jpg

u5CBk2j.jpg

Happy new year fellows

• 3 weeks later...

I always seem to lose my model mojo at the end of kits so i tend to not concentrate on the weapons as much as i should, so i decided to finish the 'load' before the plane.

Next move is to fix and mask the canopy then its time to paint 

QicsGe0.jpg

IL2AmCX.jpg

gxXembo.jpg

Edited by Robthepom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just thought I'd share my experiences with HGW wet transfers......basically they're crap and i couldnt get them to work, i watched youtube and read articles, followed the instructions but they always failed 

1.gloss coat

2. soak decal

3.place on Microset (blue)

4. push out excess

5.leave for 8hrs

6. Crap Crap and more crap

gJx2qCn.jpg

Its a real shame because i was looking forward to doing the wolfhead scheme, so i'm doing the slightly boring vanilla Tamiya scheme

Good news is that the Tamiya decals have really improved since i last did the Phantom, i'll post progress photos later

So we're still waiting for the decal revolution, because for me the HGW technology is Crapola

Edited by Robthepom