What's the difference between a mk IXc and a Mk XVIe Spitfire

Good evening I have a question, I was looking at Spitfire TB 885 that is flown in the Netherlands is it correct that this is a high back version?
Is there any body who can tell me what the difference is between the Mk IXc  and the LF Mk XVIe that the TB 885 is.
Because when I look at the photo's I can't detect much differences between the two but i'm sure there are searched google but couldn't find any satisfying answers.

Wanted to know if it's possible to use the Tamiya 1/32 MK XIc for that if the differences aren't to big...

Jan-Arie

The difference is who made the engine.  Mk IX had a Rolls-Royce Merlin, Mk XVI a Packard Merlin.  There were subtle differences in the cowlings and some other details, but basically the IX and XVI were the same airframe.  They even had the same Supermarine type number (361).  If you're going to use a Tamiya Mk IX for a XVI, just don't buy aftermarket rocker covers with a "Rolls-Royce" legend.

The engine is an important difference, but the guns are also different between a Mk IXc and a Mk XVIe.  The Mk IXc has the C wing, with 1 x 20mm cannon and 2 x .303in Browning machine guns each side.  The Mk XVIe has the E wing with 1 x 20mm cannon and  x .5in Browning machine gun each side, with the machine gun being mounted just inboard of the cannon.  This is probably the most important visual difference between the 2 planes.  Check out the 5th reply here.

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/differences-between-spitfire-mk-ixc-ixe.15778/

Cheers,

Michael

8 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

The short answer is: the engine.  The Mk.XIV had the Packard Merlin, and (AFAIK) all of them had the slightly bulged upper cowling.  The 'c' vs. 'e' is referencing the wing armament.

4 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

The engine is an important difference, but the guns are also different between a Mk IXc and a Mk XVIe.  The Mk IXc has the C wing, with 1 x 20mm cannon and 2 x .303in Browning machine guns each side.  The Mk XVIe has the E wing with 1 x 20mm cannon and  x .5in Browning machine gun each side, with the machine gun being mounted just inboard of the cannon.  This is probably the most important visual difference between the 2 planes.  Check out the 5th reply here.

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/differences-between-spitfire-mk-ixc-ixe.15778/

Cheers,

Michael

Apologies, I omitted to address the "c" and "e" suffixes in your query, Jennings and t'other Michael are quite correct that it denoted the wing configuration.  But the only thing that differentiated the mark numbers was the engine: there were IXc s and IXe s.  I don't think there was ever a XVIc variant - anyone know otherwise?

7 minutes ago, is it windy yet? said:

You will need different 1:32 scale tools to service the engine........

Like the tools that came with the Packard Merlin engines on the Mk III Lancaster, much sought after by ground crews rather than the Mk I Merlin engined set.

2 hours ago, mozart said:

Like the tools that came with the Packard Merlin engines on the Mk III Lancaster, much sought after by ground crews rather than the Mk I Merlin engined set.

I don't have the reference to hand at the moment but I read that it was to do with the bolts and nut types/sizes.

US/Whitworth/Imperial etc.

I recall the US built engines used a different type so had to have different tools from the British built version.

EDIT:

Just found the reference as regards the Merlin 266 manufactured in the US and fitted in the MkXVI

"The Packard engine was manufactured to American measurements which made it different enough from it's Rolls-Royce counterpart to require separate servicing tools and spare parts".

A bit like US -v-Imperial gallons etc.

Edited by PhilB

45 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Huh?  Are there Imperial inches and American inches?  

British Standard and Whitworth fasteners were different than US (not sure if SAE was around yet here) standard ones.  Bolt head sizes and thread profiles were not compatible or interchangeable.  Plus, I believe the British method for identifying wrench sizes was tied to the bolt diameter vs. the US method of sizing the wrench to the distance across the flats of the bolt head or nut.  So a 5/8" wrench means something different depending on which side of the pond one is on.

17 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

And the Brits wonder why they lost their empire? :)

Now just a minute...

The standards that were in use at the time were British Standard Whitworth (BSW) for coarse threads and British Standard Fine (BSF), both based on the diameter of the bolt. BSW, named after Joseph Whitworth was the world's first standardisation for threads - previously nuts and bolts from different manufacturers wouldn't interchange

WW2 forced standardisation between the US and the UK, so Unified National Coarse (UNC) and Unified National Fine (UNF) were created and parts could be interchanged. WWII is where things had to change, for some threads the Whit/BSF threads are interchangeable with UNC/UNF

This is the every day reality in my workshop where I'm regularly working with BSW/BSF/BA/UNC/UNF/BSP/Metric depending on what comes in

That's the lovely thing about standards, there are so many to choose from

Richard

And at least we had an Empire to lose!

Gosh hearing all these different terms take me back to my days with British bikes, I'm sure my BSA A65 had BSCy (British Standard Cycle Thread) studs on the cylinder base, I remember getting replacement nuts from the local push bike shop.

Cheers

Dennis