for Radu: what to use to cut RB Prods 109 grills from the fret?

nmayhew

they are made of some soft steel or something and my knife on hobby mat which works for every other PE I have used is a no go

what do you / people suggest?

i ended up not using them because i just became too frustrated at trying to remove them, but since they are quite nice, I'd like to know for next time

thanks

nick

4 hours ago, nmayhew said:

they are made of some soft steel or something and my knife on hobby mat which works for every other PE I have used is a no go

what do you / people suggest?

i ended up not using them because i just became too frustrated at trying to remove them, but since they are quite nice, I'd like to know for next time

thanks

nick

Hi Nick,

The parts are made from stainless steel. Steel is harder than brass. If you wish to use a knife, use a curved blade and place the part on a relatively rigid surface. I have an old piece of perspex for that. A cutting may is too soft and it will "give" enough under the pressure of the blade to cause the part to bend rather than separate. 

Also, sometimes I use a scissors - I cut through the supporting frame and then through the tab.

I hope this helps,

Radu

Edited by Radub

The single-best tool I have for working with photo-etch is Xuron's 9180ET scissors, designed for cutting PE:

1444-1.jpg

1444-4.jpg

They turned removing PE parts from their fret from a tedious nightmare to a breeze. These photos are from my review:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1444

And their product page:

https://xuron.com/index.php/main/consumer_products/4/80

They're expensive, but worth every cent, and I won't touch PE without them.

Kev