Navy Mk82 fuses during Desert Storm

Hi guys,

my next project is likely to be a Desert Storm A-6E of VA-65 (although a MiG-29C is also beckoning). I will be loading this bomber up heavily, the outside pylons will have 12 Mk7’s on MER’s. I am thinking of adding another 10 Mk82’s on the inside pylons, which would be in line with a loadout stated on desert storm.eu. 

I have no knowledge of the fuses used, looks like the conventional types used for decades before were often on, I would prefer to use those kinda conical ones and ideally no fuse wires either.

Thanks for any intel.

Cheers,

Marcel

Don't know if the A-6's used MK43's in DS1.  A-7's yes.  Most photo evidence shows either solid nose plugs or M904 fused MK-82's for A-6 squadrons.  Finn, if you have anything regarding VT fuses in DS1 for Intruders.....I might build that loadout as well (or I may just do a USMC Intruder with CBU and GBU-12's).

image073.jpg

image057.jpg

Collin

No way S-3’s carried those nose fuses, we were strictly M904. 

Good catch on the photo and the logic sounds good. 

Need to keep digging because a photo photo of a full MER loaded with the green nose fuses would look cool. 

Cheers

Collin

Lower left pic. Looks like the were used on Snakeye MK-82’s.

015.jpg

Here we go. Single Snakeye -82 parent station with the green nose VT fuse. Might be a SuCAP loadout for max frag above the water. 

020.jpg

Time to do some more digging. 

Cheers

Collin

Research pays off. The reason you don’t see multiple stores on a TER or MER with MK43 TDD nose fuses is because it’s not allowed due to the potential for mutual interference. Can’t seem to copy the reference here but it’s in the book. This makes sense since you see the A-6 above loaded out single store/parent rack.  Same for the A-7 photo, MK-83’s with the 43 TDD single store/parent rack. 

So it looks like a full MER of MK43 TDD green nose fused MK82’s is not allowed...by the book. 

Now there is a photo of a DS A-7 carrying a MER with green noses. I’m skeptical those are 43 TDD’s since the white nose cone “dot” isn’t the same as the nose of a MK43 TDD. Researching what those are. See below:

image035.jpg

Time for bed. 

Cheers

Collin

On 11/5/2019 at 8:58 PM, Collin said:

Research pays off. The reason you don’t see multiple stores on a TER or MER with MK43 TDD nose fuses is because it’s not allowed due to the potential for mutual interference. Can’t seem to copy the reference here but it’s in the book. This makes sense since you see the A-6 above loaded out single store/parent rack.  Same for the A-7 photo, MK-83’s with the 43 TDD single store/parent rack. 

So it looks like a full MER of MK43 TDD green nose fused MK82’s is not allowed...by the book. 

Now there is a photo of a DS A-7 carrying a MER with green noses. I’m skeptical those are 43 TDD’s since the white nose cone “dot” isn’t the same as the nose of a MK43 TDD. Researching what those are. See below:

image035.jpg

Time for bed. 

Cheers

Collin

Those are Mk-43's. They're the only item that was that color green. The silver tip is the striker rod.

1 hour ago, Dave Roof said:

Those are Mk-43's. They're the only item that was that color green. The silver tip is the striker rod.

Thanks Dave. I’ve got the manual warning not to put the TDDs on MER/TER because of MI when dropped. Asked Gerry if there was an exception for the A-7 or was it just the way you had to set up the release spacing. I never used TDD fuzes, FMU-140 was the fanciest I ever got. 

Have you ever seen or loaded up MERs with MK43 fused slick or SE -82’s during your time?  I’ve looked but have come up empty. 

Cheers

Collin

On 11/8/2019 at 5:46 PM, Collin said:

Dave: do you know if Harriers used those TDD fused MK82’s during DS1?  

Might do a mixed MK20/MK82 -43 fused bomb load on my planned 1/32 Harrier test bird. 

Cheers

Collin

Not sure, all of the Harriers were up in Saudi. We were in Bahrain. Also, all of the photos I do have only show M904 fuzed 82's, as well as 82's with nose plugs. Another awesome configuration I have photos of is similar to the one below, but both outboard stations have AGM-65E Mavericks.

scan0019.jpg