WNW Sopwith Triplane "Black Maria'

Bobs Buckles

Lovely work Bob, is that white or silver ezline you have used for the rigging?

Regards. Andy 

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your comments. :thumbsup:

I used a few different rigging lines on the Tripe. Internal rigging is ModelKasten o.15 round section elastic. The main rigging is Maxima 1.5lb breaking strain fishing line, coloured with Xtracrylix silver. To make the silver flow and not bunch up on the line I added flow improver. The really fine lines that were used on the control horns were also from the Model Kasten range, which is their fine metal wire, which is used primarily for rigging ships. 

Cheers!

Bob von Buckle :frantic:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Just a heads up for those of you with magnifiers for eyeballs, :blink: I recently added a new kind of eyelet to the product range. The *Micro* is tiny and is good for hatch/cowl fasteners on both German and British WW1 aircraft. They can also be used for ultra fine line rigging.

Cheers!

Von Micro Maniac :frantic:

webMicro.jpg

On 11/1/2019 at 3:45 AM, Bobs Buckles said:

Hello my friends,

I have been quietly sitting in the background working away on my Sopwith Tripe.

Well, today, she is complete (is a model ever complete?) and sitting in the case. 

I have this one image for now, but more will follow. I've been super busy of late and finding spare time to think, let alone modelling, is a blessing! 

More pics soooooon.

Cheers,

Von Buckles 

2sides.jpg

Your model looks fantastic, Bob! 

I noticed something interesting.  In the B/W photograph you provided, the outer ring of color on the national insignia is a much lighter tone than the central "dot".  This suggests the outer ring is red and the inner dot is blue. 

The colorized decal you used (or painted) is the reverse of this!  The outer ring is blue and the central dot is red.

Is it possible the real plane in the  B/W photo had sort of a reverse painted insignia?  

1 hour ago, ringleheim said:

Your model looks fantastic, Bob! 

I noticed something interesting.  In the B/W photograph you provided, the outer ring of color on the national insignia is a much lighter tone than the central "dot".  This suggests the outer ring is red and the inner dot is blue. 

The colorized decal you used (or painted) is the reverse of this!  The outer ring is blue and the central dot is red.

Is it possible the real plane in the  B/W photo had sort of a reverse painted insignia?  

Hi ringleheim,

Thanks for your comment.

The B&W image (I would imagine due to the photographic plate used) shows the pale outer ring with the dark spot. The dark spot would certainly be red with the pale ring being blue. The blue pigment (as with most pigments used during this period) was prone to UV fading and maybe that is why we see the difference in shade. But my gut feeling goes with the photographic plate idea. 

Cheers,

Bob ;)

1 hour ago, Bobs Buckles said:

Hi ringleheim,

Thanks for your comment.

The B&W image (I would imagine due to the photographic plate used) shows the pale outer ring with the dark spot.

Orthochrome, is it? It's the contemporary photo chemicals that tend to turn yellow into black - hence all the fuss about Voss's triplane. The problem turns up in railway circles where the red lining on locomotives disappears into the green - they both come out the same shade of grey

Richard

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Bob .

Love the photos of the office.. SUPERB workmanship. 

Very NEAT Sir   :thumbsup:

and Your Sopwith Triplane "BLACK MARIA"

is one the BEST I have seen. :clap2:

you did a MAGNIFICENT job and looks FLAWLESS. 

:punk:

:wow:

it ROCKS!!!

:bow:

:bow:

:wub:

Thank you Sir!

You're far toooooooooooo kind. :wub:  I'm glad you like the results and I thank you for your kind words.

Cheers!

von Buckle

KFC 2nd class