Suggestions for aviation-related films?

jimbo

Hi all;

I’m not only a model builder I’m a film lover as well. I am always looking for more aviation-related films, and came across this unique Dutch movie on Amazon Prime Video last week:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071386/

Seeing some folks suggesting an IM DC-3/C47 in another thread reminded me I wanted to mention it. If you love the Dakota and have ever flown in one, especially in the Caribbean (I did many times in the 70s and 80s - Air BVI how I miss your DC-3s  :-), you will likely enjoy this film. I can’t say much about the plot (it is a drama about a pilot and his beloved DC-3 [and his dubious cargo choices] and not a documentary) Tons of great shots of the subject aircraft on the ground as well as in flight. Plus it’s in Curaçao in the early 70s, a unique look at the southern Caribbean of the era. Thought some might enjoy it.

I‘d love to hear your suggestions for other interesting movies with aviation content.

jimbo

Greatest movie of all time: The Rocketeer!

Always

Air America

Porco Rosso (a cartoon, but dont let that stop you from watching it)

Waldo Pepper

Strategic Air Command

Dive Bomber

I've not seen it but on my 'To-watch' list is Cloud Dancer. 

People might recommend Dunkirk, which whilst not being terrible, isn't anything spectacular.

"The Jet Pilot" - John Wayne.  Franly rubbish, but salvaged by some great flying of post-war aircraft eg F-86, F-89, B-36, Bell X-1, T-33.

For a suggestion for a new film, how about a film about the Tondern Raid?  The story could cover the raid itself, and the aftermath of how the airmen found their way home - or in some cases, sadly, didn't.  The escape of some pilots from internment in Denmark, for example, could be included too.  I wonder if Sir Peter has ever considered it as a project?  After all, the WNW 2F.1 Ship's Camel has a decal option for one of the aircraft used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tondern_raid

Edited by MikeC

Lots of good suggestions here. Some of my choices would be:

The Blue Max

Battle of Britain

The Great Waldo Pepper

Empire of the Sun

Dark Blue World

Strategic Air Command

Bridges at Toko Ri

The Dambusters

The Rocketeer...for the planes, but also for Jennifer Connoly

And Memphis Belle...as bad as the script and dialogue is, the scenes with the aircraft on the base and the flying sequences are lovingly filmed. And it does give you an idea of how young the crews were.

Might be interesting to have a thread of ideas for films that should be made...

Richard