JT238/3BB MK.II 738NAS (Tamiya F4U)

FunkyZeit

7 hours ago, nmayhew said:

a beautiful build

in terms of finish / technique, the airframe you are modelling does not appear heavily worn, so I understand the subtle use of pencil chips.

the close up shot of the right side just underneath the cockpit - which is admittedly a *very* close up shot! - does look like pencil marks rather than chipped wear they represent, but that's a really minor thing and not visible in any of the other shots to my eyes

the colour demarcation on the left tail fin looks slightly different to the original, but what caught my eye was that the colours look 'flipped' from what I would assume they would be.

now maybe this is black and white images playing tricks, but the colours also seem reversed to how they are shown in Dana Bell's Colour Pictorial vol.2 pp32-33.

it's been a while since i went through my Corsair material, so apologies if I am missing something obvious 

i found two pictures of the airframe:

Royal-Navy-Vought-Corsair-MkII-FAA-738NA

Royal-Navy-Vought-Corsair-MkII-FAA-738NA

i hope these comments are taken in good faith, but given the effort you have taken in the build (and who it is for!), I thought I would try to do it justice with a little more than the usual "looks cool" etc

re your pictures, it would be nice to see the bird on its back to see the undersides and also some close up cockpit pictures if you are able?

thanks for sharing this epic project 

thanks for the comments!

you are correct in thinking it looks like pencil. This was my first try with weathering like that. It’ll  take  some time to perfect it :)

Secondly, if you colourize the photo of the Echelon formation seen in your post, you can more easily identify the third demarcation on the tail.  You may be correct that the colours may be flipped, I followed the many photo profiles of the airplane. Hell, the whole plane might be backwards. It could also be different shades of the colours I used. Black and white is a tricky business, I had immense issues with my HE219. Yellow marks looked grey, and only record of the airplane indicated what colour it actually was.

Id have loved to take photos of the underside but we had limited space and I wasn’t willing to flip the model around to get them. It’s a shame, I know :( 

Justin

Edited by FunkyZeit
Spelling

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

Great job, Justin, it looks great! I think you are the first person I have seen to complete one with the Grey Matter set. It turned out really well and helps set off Tamiya's engine, I am glad I got one for myself seeing it all painted up!

:goodjob:

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Thanks! It’s not an easy set to work with. Just take your time and test fit 14 times before you commit to paint.

15 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

OMG!

The detailing is IMPRESSIVE and I Love the Engine..

Everything about it oozes HOT!

:wub:

KUDOS.

:wow:  :clap2:  :bow:  :bow:

arrrgghhh

the dreaded "let me quote a post with a gazillion pictures completely needlessly..."

come on people, we're better than that