Zoukei Mura Ta 152

Fenous

It was confirmed in a recent edition of the Old Man Blog that once a kit has been sold out - that's it!

For this reason I've been collecting the 'back-issues' and ensuring that I get the new ones as they are released.

HOWEVER ... The prices are only really hiking on the original boxings ... The original Ta.152 kit was re-released in an anime boxing.

The idea was to generate more sales in the anime fan community (same was done with the Shinden).

The boxing contains everything that the original did (including decals) ... along with some new painting instructions and decals to create the anime version.

I don't think the idea really took off ... at any rate the anime boxings of both SWS-01 and SWS-02 can be bought online for standard RRP.

New boxings of previous kits MAY be released into the distant future ... The Ta.152 was re-released as a different variant with some part upgrades.

But it's not something I'll gamble on.

Rog :)

If you can find the H-0 version I would go that way.  The Slipstream version of the H-1 which was very common a few years ago, was made with different colors of plastic, i.e. wings, Fuselage etc.  The H-O has all the same color grey.  

Either will build into the aircraft you want, I just prefer all the same color plastic.   I never found the H-1 in anything but the slipstream edition. 

Paul C 

The ZM  H-1 kit was originally released with different color plastic sprues.  The H-0 kit is an improvement on their H-1 kit   the details of the former are much more refined than the latter.  I would recommend the H-0 kit over the H-1 for that reason alone.  

While the two Ta's are similar, I don't believe you can take an H-0 and make it into an H.-1 without a little work.  I can't remember the precise differences but the lower wing comes to mind as does an MW50 injection system...those May be incorrect though so don't rely too heavily on my memory.

Did you ask if anyone is looking to sell or trade for a copy of the ZM kit in the Traders forum?  Someone may have a kit that they'll part with.

Good point. I was not clear that there are differences. I meant to say the H-1 builds into the correct H-1 and H-0 to a correct H-0. 

H-0 also has excellent box art. I never saw the original H-1 box only the slipstream edition which was the cartoon anime box art. 

I double checked Volks USA store and they are out of both. Still might be worth a email to them to see if they can check the Volks Japan store. 

Paul C 

6 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Imagine you’re in business.  You spend upwards of $100,000 to research, design, and tool a 1/32 Ta152 kit.  You sell a whole bunch of them as a “limited edition”, but nowhere *near* enough to recoup your investment, much less make a profit.  

Then you toss the steel tooling in a dumpster.

Yeah, I can’t imagine that either.

Imagining ... is about the only thing we're ever likely going to do here J...

I can't see myself getting into mass producing kits - can you?

Im wondering how you'd know that ZM didn't make a profit (or even break even) out of what they produced and sold so far? ...

Are you a shareholder? ...

Do you have a prospectus, perhaps, for the next share issue? ... 

Or some other secret insider knowledge that no-one else has? (including the owners ... apparently!!)

SO ... On the basis that they are continuing to design, manufacture and sell kits ... I'd suggest that a healthy profit is being made and would be necessary for them to remain in business.

Or a least thats how a "going concern" remains that way ... to my limited accounting knowledge.

Who ever mentioned about throwing tooling into a dumpster? ...

What modelling company would ever do that, for heavens sake? 

Out of all the ridiculous remarks made here... that one takes the trophy.

Nevertheless ... I agree wholeheartedly with the premise that throwing away an investment is the least likely way of seeing any return ... 

6 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I have to agree, J, never releasing them again, doesn't seem too likely to me.

Likely or not ... It's been posted on media - from the source - for all the public to read ... 

So in all honesty ... who do you think I'm more likely to believe ... forum scuttlebutt or the manufacturer?

Therefore ... The OP ... who is wanting to buy 'A' ZM Ta-152H ... would be best advised to get one when they are available, where they are available from and while they are still available.

Holding off on a purchase in the hope of a re-pop here doesn't appear to be the wisest option - given the manufacturers declaration.

NOW ... Some of the tooling was improved/changed (and the variant) ... Between SWS-02 and SWS-11 ...

So while we might not see either of these - in their present guise - released again ...

There seems to be no good reason why we may not get, say ... a Ta-152C-1 (as maybe an SWS-25 or something) in the future ... or a future jet propelled version of the Shinden 

I can go along with the new variant/new boxing concept ... or new markings/special edition concept as way of re-utilising the tooling.

But SWS-01 - SWS-14? ... get them while you can!

Edited by Artful69

15 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Likely or not ... It's been posted on media - from the source - for all the public to read ... 

So in all honesty ... who do you think I'm more likely to believe ... forum scuttlebutt or the manufacturer?

Neither. I'd adopt a wait and see policy myself.

Given the popularity of the subject, the advanced technology available for design, production and distribution... I can't see there will not be a new kit released in the future. Maybe not from ZM, maybe not as complex, but could be even better! 

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Name me one regular (not something like Special Hobby) injection molded kit that was ever issued once and done.  Just doesn’t happen. You don’t scrap tooling just because you sold ‘X’ copies of kits squeezed in it.  

WNW comes to mind  ... but again ... who said anything about scraping tooling? It’s not originating anywhere in this thread apart from you ... Ridiculous comment having nothing to do with the subject J ... maybe you’re posting on the wrong thread?? ...

4 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Name me one regular (not something like Special Hobby) injection molded kit that was ever issued once and done.  Just doesn’t happen. You don’t scrap tooling just because you sold ‘X’ copies of kits squeezed in it.  

You have a certain amount of business experience, at least on the decal manufacturing side of things. You surely must understand how "production runs", "stock", "storage", "distribution", "retail" and other such business-related things work. As the range increases, the above-mentioned issues multiply and amplify. I am sure you know of certain decals of yours that sold out and are unlikely to ever be reissued. Would you reissue a whole decal run if a guy said he would buy one sheet? What will you do with the rest of the production run? Who will you sell them to when pretty much everyone who wanted one got one? I produced decals that sold out and I will never reissue. Same rules apply in relation to everything, from a needle to an anchor. 

There are multiple examples of plastic model kits that were never reissued, in all scales. Oh, I remember when I used to build 1/72 models, how hard I looked for  a Hasegawa Dewoitine 520. Sometimes, once costs are amortized, it is cheaper, wiser and more efficient to invest in new products than to invest in reissuing sold-out products which, due to the "law of diminishing returns" will be harder and slower to sell. Look at every forum. How many threads are about "I wish they made a new something something..." and how many threads are about "I wish they kept doing the same thing..."?

The moulds are fine in storage. The models may be reissued and only ZM knows if and when. In the meantime, they are investing in new products. 

Radu