RAFwaffe

Armin Faber made the mistake of thinking the Bristol Channel was the English Channel when he accidentally landed his Fw 190 at RAF Pembery. If he'd used his compass though he might have realised he was flying north rather than south, although that's easy to say sitting on my couch and not sitting in a fighter plane being shot at.

There are some interesting pictures of captured aircraft in the 2nd Tactical Airforce book volume 4.

It seems at the war's end quite a few squadrons "acquired" captured aircraft and then used them for "familiarisation"

Basically they painted roundels and used them to hoon about.

Also some were used for basic transport hacks and the Bf108 was pretty popular and quite a few came back to the Uk as "personal transports" for senoir officers.

(They stole them :D)

Air Vice Marshall Harry Broadhurst had his own personal Storch which I think someone kitted on here a while ago.

Interesting stuff like Arado Ar232's and Siebel Si 204's were painted up and used as transport aircraft by the 2nd TAF.

Edited by PhilB

On 10/29/2019 at 6:50 AM, MikeC said:

Thanks for posting an interesting film.  More info on 1426 Flt here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._1426_Flight_RAF

I did DG200 once, using the old Hasegawa kit.  I thought I'd posted an RFI, but I can't find it, so here's a cheeky pic.

IMG-5585.jpg

That 109 looks so right in RAF colours Mike! Scary!