We have 32nd B-17, B-24 and Lancasters (plural!). What's next? B-29?

Brent

On 11/1/2019 at 5:29 AM, tomprobert said:

I’ve built a 1/32 B-29 and although many claim they want one, the reality is it’s just too big. I’ve only ever taken it to one show and it look up over half of our club’s display space, and getting it there was a nightmare. I have a large estate car and it only just fitted in on the diagonal with the seats down. It’s just impractical to be honest. 

It is now stored at the back of my attic and never sees the light of say as getting it in and out the loft is very tricky. 

I’ve also made tentative starts on a 1/32 Sunderland and Stirling - they too are huge. 

It’s all well and good having these dream kits, but the reality of living with them is quite different...

Tom

I thought there was a thread about this a while back...Good reality check Tom. The wingspan on the HB 1/32 B24 was too impracticable for my storage space but I really wanted it until I read reviews (and then didn’t want it as much.) So will continue surgery on the old monogram 1/48 in the hope an accurate upgrade comes along. 1/32  B29? Nah.

Edited by Pup7309

Man, I'd grab up a 1/32 B-29 in an instant.  I love big models, and a big B-29 would be absolutely awesome.  That bomber had beautiful lines and, in my opinion, was the most graceful of all the WWII bombers.  Now, if you want big, consider a 1/32 B-36!!!  That sucker would be 60" long with a wingspan of a little over 7 feet!  Now that would be an awesome build!!

I'd buy a B-29 as well, if I had the money to spare  at the time. Transporting it would not be an issue for me as I don't display at shows and it will pretty much stay put once done. As for where that will be, well, I have pretty good ceiling height in the main room in the downstairs so the big stuff currently goes overhead (my Revell He 111P is over my head here at my PC station) and that room is mine to display my junk in as part of letting my wife do the upper floor where her friends tend to stay (closer to the wine glasses, is my guess). Once my daughters permanently make their own homes, I'll gain another downstairs room next to my office where I could actually build a larger tabletop if I decide to display any of my larger 2-engine and 4-engine aircraft gear-on-the-ground. I can conceivably display all 300+ kits I own if I manage to get them completed.

Edited by CATCplSlade

10 hours ago, airscale said:

1/32 Handley Page Hastings please , that way I can do my father's first a/c as a captain...

It will never happen,  but one day if someone did a Halifax I am game for a conversion..

Peter 

A Hastings would be wonderful Peter.  I lived close to RAF Colerne as a child in the mid-fifties and we used to see them trundling around all the time to the point where we didn't even bother to look up.  But if one flew over now.........:yahoo:

9 hours ago, mozart said:

A Hastings would be wonderful Peter.  I lived close to RAF Colerne as a child in the mid-fifties and we used to see them trundling around all the time to the point where we didn't even bother to look up.  But if one flew over now.........:yahoo:

ah good - a fellow fan :)

I was out in the Far East (Changi) when I was about 3 - I wish he had some pics but all I have are logbook serials

.this one will do for now :)

18_zps3yo9sxt1.jpg

Peter

Helo, as Curiouslysophi said a C47 ( im ) would be wonderfull. I would build Tropical Tilly from The thing from another world, one of my favorite movies. Also a B58, Sterling and a Hudson bomber would make my day.

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

I am going to get hate mail over this, but if someone comes out with a IM C-47, I would prefer a 1/35th version. There is just so much more you could add in the way of equipment and soldier figures in 1/35th. This is why the Horsa came out in 1/35th.

I completely agree.

Personally, I think strategic US bombers made after the B-17 would be far too large except the Hustler. If we really want to consider large US planes, I would prefer other missing links such as the fifties or sixties fighters or bombers that are still missing. For multi engine classic planes, personally, I would prefer getting a  Vietnam era Neptune or a WW2 Sparviero. Both had terrific camo schemes!