We have 32nd B-17, B-24 and Lancasters (plural!). What's next? B-29?

Brent

20 hours ago, Tony T said:

My top five 1/32 would be:

Short Sunderland III or V 

Handley Page Halifax — Hercules radials, rectangular fins, rounded or squared wingtips 

Convair TB/B-58A Hustler 

Consolidated PBY5 Catalina 

Vickers Armstrong Wellington — late 

(And in 1/48 an Avro Vulcan B.2 and Handley Page Victor SR.2 or K.2)

Wouldn't be surprised if some made it into IM styrene within the next five-six years.

Tony 

Amen to the Halifax. Also a Short Sterling and a Hudson.

34 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

I know many people still like those old Monogram kits, I built a lot of them myself, however I did that in the 1970’s and 1980’s.  I would no more purchase one of those kits now than purchase a Walkman or black and white mini television from Radio Schack all though I owned both of those back then.  I respect anyone that likes the old kits, I have very minimal interest in them as new research and technology makes them more obsolete every day.  I hope they are all retooled with new versions as appropriate in 1/32 or 1/48.  We have the new HK B-17 coming in 1/48 hopefully they will do more of these big bombers in 1/48 like the B-29 where it makes sense and do 1/32 where it makes sense.

I should make clear, this is my feeling only, I don’t expect anyone to agree, about these old monogram kits, in the 1970’s and 1980’s I hit a point where I quit building airplanes because I disliked the kit quality so much.  I remember one thing about the monogram B-29 and that was the giant seam that was like the marianas trench where the fuselage halves were to go together.  Even today I would spend hours trying to fix that seam if I build one of those, probably days.  I was not that skilled back then, don’t claim to be now, but the quality of those kits were a misery.  I had just enough access to TAmiya kits to know better was possible.  For years I would not buy a monogram kit unless it was a car  as I just got tired of how bad they were.

My I quit point was at about age 12 to 14 when I built the B-29.  I ended up with this horrible gap where the fuselage halves went together so I tried to cover it up with scotch tape, then spray painted the whole thing silver.  Did not work, did not know what filler was and threw the whole thing in the trash.  I did not touch another monogram plane after that for years.  I still mostly detest those kits.  I built armor kits after that.

Some above have mentioned a 1/32 Dakota I would think that to be a kit that would make a lot of sense.  

In the 70s I built all of the bombers and I at least was impressed. As a matter of fact, my first wife still has them. But bad quality or not, each bomber cost $20.

5 hours ago, quang said:
  • Yeah but you can pack 28 1/32 paratrooper figures in it. Makes a lot of guns :P

Yea, the C-47s had holes in the windows for rifles. You could make it look like a porcupine.

7 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

To me the C-47 is really the missing link. Used in nearly all conflicts of the second half of the 20th century, painted with schemes of all US services and many other countries, used for close to any role... It is a no brainer! The Hph kit is alas far too expensive: 750€ without the photoetched set... Come on... ☹️ 

DeAgostini make a far more detailed DC3 than Hph with even a metal skin for about the same price. It wouldn’t make too much modification to convert it to a C47.

23 hours ago, Brent said:

Howdy Gang!

I was rooting thru the stash last night. I was pawing all the old Monogram 1/48 bombers. Almost everything has been done. Those that haven't (A-26 & B-26) will probably show up soon. However, the B-29 hasn't been mentioned, has it? What other monster kits will be coming out of China?

We can build most all battleships and carriers in 1/200. I understand even a Titanic is due soon. Why not a B-29?

ß!

Actually, Monogram’s last releases were an A20 ( Korean War B26) and a B26 after they finished making all those Mitchell versions in 1/48.

I’m still trying to talk myself into getting one huge WnWs Handley Page WW1 bomber. At least it has a folding wing, something I wish my Gotha had. I couldn’t imagine a B29. I admit that I am tempted to get a B24, C47,and a Halifax lll (if anyone releases it).

17 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Neil Yan made noises about a B-29 several years ago, and told him it would be a one way ticket to bankruptcy.  He finally saw reason.  Yes, it would be very cool, yadda, yadda, yadda.  But in the real world, it would be a $400 kit, it would be ENORMOUS, and aside from a few early build airplanes, it comes in natural metal or natural metal.  I’d be shocked if there was a real market for more than a few hundred world wide at most.  Great idea for HpH or somebody, but not for a mainstream injection molded kit.

Yes, I think it would be better seeing a new-tool 1/48 B-29. At some point you have to say enough is enough. 

On 29 October 2019 at 4:41 PM, LSP_K2 said:

I think the OP was referring to American WWII bombers only.

Like the 1/200 Musashi ?

If it's Monogram nostalgia only re-wrapped in bigger scale by Hobby Boss then it would have to be limited to:

Douglas DC-3 Dakota 

Consolidated PBY5 Caralina

Convair TB/B-58A Hustler - c'mon, Monogram did it in 1/48, it had four engines and was a bomber, so it has to qualify

Shame nobody's made the big flying boats like the Boeing Clipper and Short Sunderland, and the bigger Cant and Heinkel seaplanes. But at least someone's done the He-115 in 1/48. 

Tony