WNW Albatros D.V Otto Kissemberth

TomR

10 hours ago, Uncarina said:

That’s some great work, and I will keep your advice in mind with the lozenge decals.

Cheers,  Tom

23 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Great work! The large decals like that can get tedious for sure

Thanks guys. No pictures today but all the main wing decals are on without any issues. Now on to the rib tapes. The one concern I have at this point is having to mask of the wing root to paint the uncovered area to match the fuselage. In the past I've lifted decals with Tamiya tape so its something this needs to done carefully.

Quick update

Wing are complete except for the cross decals and detail painting. The rib tapes went on without much trouble which was definitely a surprise. I still have a couple of air bubbles in the decals to deal with but that can wait for now. Overall I'm pleased with the result. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with the Micro-sol and hairdryer method going forward. It seems to be the only way to reliably stick down the large panels without creating too many bubbles. In fact the bubbles mostly happen when you go back over dry decals to place the rib tapes.

6gVvIZ0.jpg

D6EISQA.jpg

ecMpn8T.jpg

qIwfc3C.jpg

A2P7jgZ.jpg

Time to start masking for paint. My current plan for masking the wing root area is to use the white flexible tamiya tape as it seems to stick only lightly so it should (fingers crossed) not lift the decal underneath. One nice thing about this scheme is that its all solid black so no masking for camo patterns this time!

Quick update on the progress of the build. At this point there's alligator clips all over the bench with painted parts so it should be a matter of assembly and touch up from here on out. I've got to say I'm overall very happy with how the build is progressing and knock on wood I haven't made any major mistakes.

I'll stick to pictures of the fuselage primarily but the same process was applied to the landing gear struts etc. as well. I started with a light base coat of sea gray to provide a lighter base and check for any surface imperfections before proceeding.

OLggGXr.jpg

M1kKji8.jpg

Steaks of much lighter Pale Blue Grey were applied the the panel lines were shaded. I'll admit that "pre-shading" was probably a bit overkill with an all black scheme but nonetheless it was worth a try. In hindsight probably completely unnecessary but oh well.

w15LhZC.jpg

As I painted the fuselage and tail feathers I wanted to slightly vary the color to give the appearance of a field re-painting. Its very hard to see the effect on camera an honestly its almost imperceivable due to the color being black but I do think it was worth it. Streaks of very light coats of black mixed with about 10% sea gray were slowly built up to the final color. This is about halfway through the process:

nxjKfTL.jpg

Final result looked pretty good though like I said the streaks really can't be seen due to the reflected light from the camera. I think when the model is finished a better background will help show it. One piece of good news it the addition of see gray knocked down the black just enough that it doesn't look "too black" with is great. Black is definitely difficult to get good pictures of. 

1xw2YdS.jpg

On to the guns........ My last WWI build I had no problem assembling the PE shroud for the machine guns but this time I made a complete mess of it. I figured it was better to just paint up the simplified machine guns the try to fix bent PE and to tell you the truth the simplified guns look just fine in my opinion.

7blJzn5.jpg

Some of the other parts in progress.

Fz0IlYj.jpg

xTQNIgv.jpg

uutADmn.jpg

As always thanks for taking a look and any comments or criticisms are welcome. The build should go pretty quick now so stay tuned!

On 11/10/2019 at 7:24 AM, europapete said:

Hi Tom, give the decals a coat of varnish before masking, it protects them quite well. Regards, Pete in RI

Thanks for the advice! I actually cheated a bit and just hand held a piece of paper as a mask and painted the wing roots. Turned out perfect and much quicker then masking.

• TomR changed the title to WNW Albatros D.V Otto Kissemberth

SBl9qQB.jpg

Working my way through the decals and it's really coming together now. Hoping to get the engine and guns mounted tomorrow. First time building an Albatross for me and I'd definitely recommend leaving the wings off until the undercarriage and decals are done. Makes life a lot easier.

14 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Wow, that looks fantastic. Did you use any solutions on the WnW decals? They look like they set down great.

Thanks Albert! I did use a solution for setting. Best method I've found for the wings is multiple applications of Micro-Sol, then no more then 5 seconds with the hair dryer, one more application of Micro-sol then hairdryer as needed. The heat really helps melt the decals down. The downside is the heat can make bubbles but its not too hard to pop them with a knife.

14 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

Nice work. You used cookie cutter decals? Trailing edges look very clean, always a tough area to get right.

Thanks Mike! Nope I used the decals from Wingnut Wings not the Aviattic set. Your right the rib tapes on the edge are a bear to get right, I find just putting them on and letting them dry a bit before putting on the solution seems to help.

On 11/17/2019 at 8:32 PM, Kagemusha said:

Looking great. 

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hope everybody had a nice Thanksgiving. Been a bit between updates but some progress is being made for sure, I got quite a bit during the holiday. I did find a minor issue with the kit where the cowling covers don't fit 100% because the struts are hitting in the rear. Could be a case where I didn't install the struts correctly but it should be easy to deal with. Here's a few pictures of the current state.

YeS9ZXZ.jpg

Kw1tnvN.jpg

Thanks for looking. Another update soon