LSP_Ron

Shingles shot

Recently I landed in hospital showing ALL the symptoms for gallstones, and in such pain they gave me morphine (which doesn't really affect me) and we were all so sure that I had them that the ER doc stated that scanning my giblets via ultrasound, and later a CT scan, was a formality. But we were all confounded when those scans showed nothing at all. No trauma from passing them either. The CT scan showed absolutely no anomalies anywhere, and my bloodwork came up perfect. The most plausible theory? Shingles. Not everybody gets the rash and I certainly didn't. I'm going back at some point for more tests but that's what we're working on right now. I'll be talking with my GP about the vaccine soon.

On 10/28/2019 at 1:07 AM, BiggTim said:

Had it around 37 or 38, on my back around under my left armpit to my chest. High stress life, and one day, BANG, blow torch level pain. Left behind neuralgia bad enough that I could still feel it for many years. Still get a tingly itchy sensation in that nerve every so often, after 12 or 13 years.

14 minutes ago, daveculp said:

Would you believe recurrent shingles for 20 years?  Valacyclovir works great though - just don't forget to take your pill!

Yeah, unfortunately it's one of those viruses that keep on giving. Once in a while i'll get a bolt of pain in the area that'll make me jump and curse...loudly. Getting less and less, not enough to take meds for.

Don

Been there done that about 4 years ago. Pain in my back and under my right arm up onto my chest. Hurt like you would not believe. The after pain of neuralgia was just as bad for me. It lasted for months like a prickly skin feeling.

Trust me, get the shot!

Tim

I have never had Shingles but MY Late Mom had it and saw that it was painful for her. 

in the UK  they don't give  Herpes Zoster (Shingles)vaccination unless you are 70 years old or older..

:hmmm:

23 hours ago, Astro32 said:

they gave me morphine (which doesn't really affect me)

Do you take opioid pain medications chronically?  If so, then morphine probably wouldn’t do much for you in normal doses.  If not, then that’s a figment of your imagination, or else they simply didn’t give you enough to do the job.  Morphine affects *every* mammal in exactly the same way.  Your Mu opioid receptors are just like everyone else’s :)

after reading this, I was due for a routine physical Friday so I asked my doc about it. I wanted to get one but they had no vaccine at their office, said it's in short supply. So went to Publix, asked about it and the reply was "are you on the waiting list?". Turns out they have a 4 PAGE waiting list and the guy said they only get about 7-9 doses per shipment, and the list was getting longer faster than they can give the vaccine.

What has happened is there's a new vaccines for this.  My VA primary care doc

told me the old one used a live virus.  I was offered that at one point, but after

discussing it with with the doc we both decided to risk skipping it.  When the

new dead virus one came out i was willing to take that one, but the shortage

is pretty bad.  Of my three siblings, two had the chicken pox as children and

both got the shingles over the past four years.  If I'm not able to get the

vaccination, I'm afraid I'm a ticking time bomb.

On 11/1/2019 at 7:36 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

Morphine affects *every* mammal in exactly the same way.  Your Mu opioid receptors are just like everyone else’s :)

Probably dosage I'm sure. Five minutes after it was slipped into my i.v., it was as if I hadn't been given any. But I've experienced that before. I'm sure they're being cautious. 

The first shingles shot for myself and wife was really nothing, however the 2nd one (you are required to take 2 of them), was totally different.  All joints hurt for a day, ran a fever, and all round felt terrible.  24 to 36 hours of really all round misery.  After that, all was good.  

Having had chickenpox in my youth, I felt it was a necessary thing to get the vaccination.  

Paul C