LSP_Ron

Shingles shot

My wife talked me into going for a shingles vaccination shot after several years of pestering.  

Holy smokes they hurt,  it's been three days and my shoulder is still very sore!  But its better than getting Shingles. I know several people suffering from it lately. 

Aging is so fun.......

Shingles..... have to tell my story. February 2106 did an oopsie and needed a inguinal hernia op, fully filleted, 22 clips  5" incision. Hurt like heck off for 3 months. Have pics if you want... fast forward to September, needed a deep cleaning(neglected my teeth care) a root canal and 2 wisdom teeth extraction...4 hrs in the chair, hut like hell. Jump to November, get a rash on forehead, shingles... hurt like HOLY HELL ON EARTH!!!! Of the three ouchies, the shingles was THE WORSE!!!! Possibly the worse pain in my life!! Everyone, listen up!! You want to avoid shingles!! Get the vaccine!!!

Don

My wife developed shingles (shoulder and arm) in the depths of her chemotherapy treatment, and she too says it was the worst pain of her life. Was rushed to hospital and spent several days there.

Kev

I have a cousin  that had it this summer in their 20's just before being married.  Nerves....

Age has nothing to do with it.  That type of stereotypical stuff upsets me a great deal.

it's the same as not being able to get a colonoscopy before your 50 unless your family has a history.

Tell that to my dead brother in law who died from it at 48 with no family history.........

These ideas kill people.  

Late 50's for me. Mom had it in her 40's. I had it all around my right eye into my scalp. Still have scars. Docs were concerned it would go into the eye, lucky it didn't.

Don

11 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

Tell that to my dead brother in law who died from it at 48 with no family history.........

These ideas kill people.  

Everything  is on a bell curve. There are always people who fall out on the outer ends of them.  Unfortunately we can’t have every diagnostic test and procedure for every patient every time.  We’d go even more broke than we already are.  My mother was out on the edge of the colon cancer bell curve too.  She hadn’t had a colonoscopy since she was 70, and was diagnosed with stage 4 disease at 83, with no family history.

I really hate finding other health things to worry about.  I had sores reluctant to heal on one leg, and I got diabetes scared.  Had the most intensive Diabetes detection test, and came out clean.  Getting old sucks.

1 hour ago, Gazzas said:

The Australian Gov't says you're too young if under 60 unless you live with someone with a compromised immune system.  Any of you that have had it under 60?

I was 46 and under a lot of work stress, otherwise healthy. As Ron says, it can happen any time...especially if you've had chicken pox, it's the same virus.

D.B.

The older you get the worse your immune system is so yes age has a lot to do with it.  Also if you have never had the chx pox or have had that vaccine, your odds of getting it are super slim.  Once you have had the chx pox it stays in you with your immune system keeping it ever so slightly at bay.  All it takes is something to cause your immune system to weaken.  I had shingles at 37.  The new vaccine (Shingrex) is around $275 a shot and you need two which is also why it isn't given out like candy. 

Had it around 37 or 38, on my back around under my left armpit to my chest. High stress life, and one day, BANG, blow torch level pain. Left behind neuralgia bad enough that I could still feel it for many years. Still get a tingly itchy sensation in that nerve every so often, after 12 or 13 years.

I was in my early thirties and got it on my neck, felt awful so went to our medical centre at work, which was a fully equipped and staffed, I felt really awful and did not know what I had, they correctly diagnosed it as shingles. No time off though as they rang my doctors and offered to treat me at work, my doctors agreed so I had to make regular visits to the centre during my shifts.

Cheers

Dennis