STRIKE TEST TOMCAT

Collin

I swear, I am doing a large scale plane next.  Want to get this project done so I open the display case only once to put in this build and my recent EA-6B build.

Tamiya 1/48.  OOB, but out of a few boxes since I have to use parts from the D kit to make a late A.  This will be Salty Dog 202 in the end.

OOB cockpit, Milliput seatbelts.

URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tatuskocs/media/DSCN8726.jpg.html]DSCN8726.jpg[/URL]

DSCN8725.jpg

DSCN8723.jpg

DSCN8724.jpg

DSCN8720.jpg

DSCN8722.jpg

DSCN8719.jpg

DSCN8721.jpg

DSCN8718.jpg

DSCN8716.jpg

• 1 month later...

Photobucket is done with me.  On to Imgur.

My Tomcat progress, hope to get some more done over the week or so of holidays and slow down at work.

Rapid black based then the standard late 80's/early 90's TPS grey scheme on this NAWC Strike Test F-14A (202).  I thinly coat the black base with the primary grey, then go "up and down" one grey scale for some slight weathering and paint maintenance work.

Cheers

Collin

TB1Sbcd.jpg

JursXu6.jpg

Gh27kjq.jpg

8PbeORM.jpgwD0LTkU.jpgdxizrvg.jpgfH3ZN56.jpgirEb8WI.jpg2rFnfzA.jpgL5Eqynk.jpg

Gloss coat and decals complete (except the slime lights....doing that tonight).

It's funny how the gloss coat completely changes the look of a TPS painted aircraft (or really any model aircraft).  The standard idea is that gloss coat darkens paint while flat coat lightens it.  After the slime lights tonight, a panel line wash of various grey shades will be put on.  Then a semi-matt acrylic barrier will go do in prep for some light oil weathering.  After that is all complete....flat coat.  The Tomcat will look a lot different then.  I saw this same effect on my 1/48 Prowler build. 

Cheers

Collin

ExPI1SM.jpg

cvEkQLZ.jpg

ELw092U.jpg

Xe08RY8.jpg

General grime of oils  (dark brown and Starship Filth) applied, then a acrylic flat coat (this weathering technique is still new to me).  Removed the engine exhaust masking, canopy masking removal will be next.  These aircraft didn't get as messy as carrier based aircraft, but there was no way to keep a Grumman product that clean even shore based. 

Now comes the fun part....all the bits and pieces (gear, pylons, weapons, antennas, detail painting and such).  This part always seems to take forever.

Cheers

Collin

or0EpY9.jpg

Er4SSHm.jpg

upxiInA.jpg

zixLvkW.jpg

Q1mLSgX.jpg

aHvXEvm.jpg

9GHi4iC.jpg