F-51D Tail Wheel

John1

Question on the F-51D’s that had their tail wheels locked down.   Were the tail wheel doors removed?   Were they closed, with a cutout for the strut?  I’ve seen a few pics of a canvas boot installed as well.  Any details or clear pics are greatly appreciated.   

Here is one example, no doors, no canvas boot. I Googled Air National Guard Mustangs and there were images of others, a fair number with no canvas boot.

I will check the P-51 SIG. I think there was a thread dealing with locking down the tail wheel and the modifications needed.

lVW2GAih.png

Edited by R Palimaka

It was a post-war modification. There were a number of incidents caused by problems with the extension/retraction linkages as the aircraft aged. The tailwheel would sometimes not extend and lock down properly, so a Tech Order ( don't have the number or date at the moment) was issued for ANG and Reserve units to lock the tail gear in the down position, and remove the doors. Seems to be a US only mod as far as I can tell, and even there it doesn't seem to have been followed universally with all the units . The RCAF for one did not do this.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

12 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

It was a post-war modification. There were a number of incidents caused by problems with the extension/retraction linkages as the aircraft aged. The tailwheel would sometimes not extend and lock down properly, so a Tech Order ( don't have the number or date at the moment) was issued for ANG and Reserve units to lock the tail gear in the down position, and remove the doors. Seems to be a US only mod as far as I can tell, and even there it doesn't seem to have been followed universally with all the units . The RCAF for one did not do this.

Richard

Hello,

All 32 F-51 of the Guatemalan Air Force had the tail wheel locked down and the doors removed when the deliveries began in the mid 50s.