Reheat/Afterburner diamonds - is there a way

Carve the diamonds some how and suspend them in an ink infused/tinted Clearfix sealant (not silicone). That way you can shape the cone as you need to. Or if you have the time and patience then mould the diamonds with Clearfix  too.

Edited by AlanG

2 hours ago, Stevepd said:

I’ve got an idea floating around in the grey matter for a model. Is there a way of recreating the diamonds of reheat/afterburner of a real jet?

I've been noodling that one for quite a while now. It is one reason my F-4B Phantom II build got side lined. The plane is posed in a take-off profile, 20-30 ft off the ground, flaps down and landing gear all most full retracted. It requires engines be in AB and the thought of that just being in the imagination is like propellers not turning or at least appearing to do so. You can make fairly realistic looking turning propellers or add electric motors but portraying AB has eluded me.

Barry

Edited by Barry

I have also wondered about this but not tried anything yet. My thinking was perspex rod with various rings airbrushed on with clear orange and smoke. I wonder if you add an LED in the engine, this will provide the appropriate "glow".

I’ve got the image of a MiG-23 with wings swept back going at full chat with the full plume out the back, perhaps with one of those blurred bases. Then the thought occurred about the rings as that would look quite cool. I’m going to give it some thought and perhaps speak with some of the lighting traders at Telford.

https://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Galleries/Special/Features/Hasimara/MiG23UM.jpg.html

you get the idea......

I think today’s tech is LED all day long for the colour. However the diamonds on their own or within a tapering cone?. It’s Sod’s law and try one thing then realise the other way is better.....

Anything attempting to replicate smoke, reheat diamonds, tracers or whatever is by nature never going to look exactly like the real thing as you are trying to change a gas or light to a solid state.

The most effective I have seen is some Japanese modeller who has created some WW2 naval battle scenes using cotton wool and suitable coloured lights hidden within .

Sorry it doesn’t really answer your original question, but alternatively, the aircraft parked with the engines shutdown is always going to look more realistic.